how do i do a water change?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

GeneralTso

Reaction score
OK. its been almost a week since i started my tank. how do i do a water change? do i just use new water from the tap? do i need to use chlorinex? is it safe for me to use chlorinex with the fish still in the tank? im very lost. plz help.

syphon or bail out the water (use this water to rinse any filter media that needs rinsing)
yes; you should keep the fish in
yes; you use a de-chloinator (add treatment to new water then add to tank)

20% weekly is the recomended mataniance

My filter has a pump with some pipes.

I can move the pipes so they hang ove rthe edge of the tank.
I then unplug the heater and turn on the pump.

This then pumps out until i stop it at about 20%.

Once done I add the De-Clorinated water in (mines pre-stored in 2 litre bottles)

Then re-connect everthing and turn it all back on.
Remember to re-plug the heater in again.

the reason i unplug the heater is if its not submered it will break or crack the glass.

I have done this once before when i was a noobie and wondered what went wrong.
luckly there were no fish in the tank.

Yep, very important to remember to unplug heaters. Some people, especially python users, add the dechlor into the tank, and then add tap water. Either or is fine.

P.T.

I use a battery operated syphon to remove a bucket full of water making sure I suck up all the poop I can see.

Then I tip a clean bucket of dechlorinated water back in to top the tank back up (checking that the temperature is similar to that of the tank).

personally i syphon both in and out, reasoning that i wouldn't want a bucket of water poure on my head !

One_Trick_Pony said:
personally i syphon both in and out, reasoning that i wouldn't want a bucket of water poure on my head !
Dont worry it's done against the side of the tank so there's no worry of a huge weight of water landing on the fish, it slides nicely in :nod:

One_Trick_Pony said:
I pour 5 gallon buckets directly on my fishes heads. It is a 6 foot tank so there is plenty of other places for them to hang out. They have always showed some form of amusement with water flows though. They used to all line up and race into the filter returns. Now that they are bigger (a LOT bigger) that's too easy so they wait for Tuesdays to play in the fresh water.

Also I'm surprised no one has mentioned... water change day is the best time to use a gravel vacuum (assuming you have gravel). These are the rubber hoses attached to the wider thingy at the end. Better description: a lengthy hose attached to a 2-4 inch diameter clean plastic cylinder.

Stick the fat end in the water then start the siphon. Once it is flowing cram the fat end into the gravel. The little rocks will swoosh up in the water but not all the way to the smaller hose. But... all the gunk will flow all the way out into your bucket. I do this once a week when I change the water.

thank you all for the info. cleaned today. everything went well so far. except the arowana tryed to jump out while i was putting the water back in, but luckly he jumped the length of the tank and landed back in the other side of the tank. scared the crap outta me. i will have to find a way to keep the lid on while i re-fill the tank next time.

Most reactions

Back