Hoplo Thoracatum

Gibbo

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have a pair of Hoplosternum Thoracatum, reared from a group of youngsters, that have been in condition for about 6 weeks now. Males pecs fiery red, female the shape of a little fat cigar (bless her). Problem is, still no eggs! They get frozen bloodworm, mysis shrimp,chopped mussel and prawn PLUS pellet and wafers. Do you think they're, well, a little shy? :/

B) Hi Gibbo, try some large water changes (50%) with cooler water (up to 10 degrees), this may trigger them off. :) Mac.

Cheers m8, they will have a 2 footer all to themselves soon, do you think the same technique would work for Synos, eg. Notatus, Eupterus from the Nile/Congo delta (not the Gr8 Lakes)? I have 3 young Notatus that eventually I'd like to attempt to breed ( a futile Idea, some would say)!

Also, your thoughts on the Dwarf Amazon Puffer and breeding possibilities.

Cheers :alien:

Eupterus & Notatus ain't been bred in the aquarium, so go for it! You'll need to have a rainy season strategy, breedable fish and lots and lots of patience. As for the puffers you'll need to trawl the net for info as I have'nt got a clue!! :p Mac.

syno eupterus, i have a 7 or 8 inch speicimen great looking catfish! they selling for £10 in lfs for a 5 inch one not bad! had mine years

Got the Notatus for £4 ea (3"), got told whilst viewing they were Decorus. Went straight to the Book section of shop, looked in Interpet African + Asian catfish for ref. and snapped them up (were £5 ea but I bartered 'em down, been to too many car boots!!). Slow growers but looking good all the same. Share 48x18x18" tank with my Paratilapia Pollini pair. No worries so far..... (crosses fingers).... ;) :alien:

i may be gettin older but i have to look up a Paratilapia Pollini now cos i am lost. £4 for a 3inch that aint too bad really i got me marbled syno for 2.80 but he was 5.60

Madagascan Cichlids, I keep banging on about them but they really are my pride and joy! Vulnerable in the wild, Sonia Guinane is championing the cause in the UK for breeding rare Madagascan Cichlids for conservasion and commercial reasons. They really do deserve to be very popular in the hobby. Paratilapia Pollini can be seen on a site called 'The Cichlid Room'. Sonia and Paul V. Loiselle have posted good articles on there about these fish. B) :alien:

sorry about that i looked up the other name u gave and i failed to get any site matches, sometimes it may help to use both common and science names(latin) as someof us dont know all the names ...

:) Gibbo, I wasn't thinking straight when answering about the Hoplos. They are bubble nesters!! Place a piece of polystyrene to float on the surface, the male should start to build a nest and then entice the female to spawn. :thumbs: Mac.

I've heard accounts of them sticking eggs to glass a la Corydoras as well. They'll have a 2 footer to themselves from 2morrow so I'll give it a crack!
Cheers m8...

By the by, have you ever had experiences setting up Clubs during your time as a fishkeeper? There is nothing like that in Derby, thinking of getting something organised :grr:

Cheers Mac, will take a look soon. Been speaking to local Aquatic retailer (don't know if we can name names) but he is generous enough to allow me to put up a poster in his shop to see what sort of interest there is in a club in the city.

By the by, he had some beautiful Silver Hatchets there imported from Miami and some fantastic Farlowalla catfish that would make great breeding stock (also from Miami). Also some Red Hump Eartheaters. If anyone interested, send personal mail for details!

:alien:

Most reactions

Back