Hood - Cover For My Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aleksandar

Reaction score
I want to build hood for my tank (sizes are 53 cm long; 26 width and  36 cm high), i want to ask few question about it;
1. how heavy can hood be so my fish tank can support it?
2. what to do so the wood can cope with humidity?
3. when i'm connecting the sides of the cover should i use nails or some glue?
4. is acrylic color safe for the inner side of the hood (i want to paint it white)?

maybe this questions will be funny but this is first time in my life that i'm trying to build something, so any advice about my questions or more will be appreciated

Thanks in advance :) 

I can't really help with all the questions but I think you might have a problem insulating the wood from the humidity unless you used some sort of outside paint. Alternatively, and I have seen wooden hoods with the following solution, is to put condensation covers over the tank so that the humidity doesn't reach the wood at all.

You can use waterproof wood varnish to help protect the wood.

As for weight, well, tanks are fairly sturdy and can hold quite a bit of weight but should try to keep it as light as you can for ease of use.

Would use some good wood glue rather than nails as the nails will probably rust up from the moisture after a while and be unsightly.

Ch4rlie said:
You can use waterproof wood varnish to help protect the wood.

As for weight, well, tanks are fairly sturdy and can hold quite a bit of weight but should try to keep it as light as you can for ease of use.

Would use some good wood glue rather than nails as the nails will probably rust up from the moisture after a while and be unsightly.
ShinySideUp said:
I can't really help with all the questions but I think you might have a problem insulating the wood from the humidity unless you used some sort of outside paint. Alternatively, and I have seen wooden hoods with the following solution, is to put condensation covers over the tank so that the humidity doesn't reach the wood at all.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back