High Phosphate Levels = Algae?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

aaronc

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi All

I have quite high Phosphate levels in my tap water and subsequently my tank. The reading from my test kit is around 2.5mg/l. Which is about twice the ideal level.

I am currently suffering quite badly with algae even though I have loads of fast growing camomba and vallis.

Do you think this phosphate level is likely to be contributing to the algae problem and if so what is the best way to get it down

Thanks
Aaron

2.5ppm PO4 is fine, Ive run tanks at 5ppm with no algae (albeit under low light conditions) and my EI nano runs at around 2-3ppm. PO4 and NO3 on their own dont cause algae, thats a myth. Unstable water conditions causes algae and the best way to have stable water is to have lots of plants.

Sam

Hi Sam

I am running a low light setup at the moment, around 1.2WPG with the standard Juwel lighting and filtration, stocked as per sig.

I am going to add 1 Nutrafin CO2 kit to try and raise the CO2 and see how that helps.

I use a general plant fertiliser, Tetra Plantamin every 4 weeks as per instructions, as I don't really understand or think I need the EI method.

Nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia are all at 0. I though a 0 reading for nitrate was wierd so testing with another kit and I still get 0. So I can only assume the plants are using it all up.

Can you see any obvious problems with my setup that could be helping the algae out.

Thanks
Aaron

Under low light, PO3 and NO3 levels are far less critical. I cant see anything obvious that would be causing the algae. How often do you do water changes?

Sam

About 15-20% once a week without fail. I also give the gravel a good clean with a gravel vac to remove any waste etc.

Maybe I do need to dose with the EI method. All I can assume is that something is missing so the plants aren't growing properly and are leaving nutrients for the algae.

Aaron

Maybe I do need to dose with the EI method. All I can assume is that something is missing so the plants aren't growing properly and are leaving nutrients for the algae.

Aaron

Yep, you've hit the nail on the head. EI will ensure that all the nutrients are there.

Edit: Woops, didn't see you have only 1.2WPG, EI not the answer.

Haha was afraid someone might say that! I really don't understand it lol. Have read the sticky but it just makes no sense to me lol

About 15-20% once a week without fail. I also give the gravel a good clean with a gravel vac to remove any waste etc.

Maybe cleaning the gravel is releasing Ammonia in to the water column. This would trigger algae.

There is no real need to go EI as far as I can tell, which would be a very expensive method if all you want to do is clear up some algae.

Dave.

You don't need EI by any means with 1.2WPG, providing you are using a decent trace mix and haven't got really really demanding plants, the plants will get all they need from water changes, the trace mix and fish food.

I use a gravel vac on my non-planted tank and its algae free.

My only other thought would be the lighting, if its stock it'll be rubbish for plant growth switching to decent lighting might help the plants which will in turn help with the algae.

It also might just be a case of waiting it out, getting a stable tank can take months, especially in low light tanks. Keep up the water changes and it should settle.

Sam

Hi, is the tank getting any sunlight at all?

I had problems with one of my tanks. It was the other side of the room from the window but I was plagued with algae. Two months ago I noticed that the early morning sun (as a shift working I'm rarely up at that time, either asleep or working :lol: ) was hitting the tank for just 30 minutes. I make a point of keeping the blinds closed first thing and, for the first time, it's completely algae free. :thumbs:

Hi Brian

The tank is near a window, but it doesn't any direct sunlight, the window is in a corner that gets no direct sunlight.

Aaron

You might want to add more plants and try the non CO2 method.
Small tanks+ non CO2, low to moderate light are very stable once you get things going well.

Try adding some Excel also in the interm.
Or you can go CO2/EI etrc if you so chose.
I'd do the light ferts + Excel or non CO2 all the way personally though.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Most reactions

Back