High Nitrates!!

adam_jones

Reaction score
I recently smash my tank and changed to a 36, 12, 15 inch tank, Because I used tap water my Nitrae levels are around 90mg/l, I need to get my Nitrates below 20 mg/l, what is the best product to use and how long will it take? Are there any tips. :thumbs:

Wow 90mg/l, thats a high reading. There are 3 ways in which I know ( 1 definately works):-

1- Nita Zorb comes in a bottle which is added to the tank.

2- Nitra Ex ( Similar to the above )

3- Lots of live plants which eventually when settled will soak up a lot of the nitrates. I' m sure there are a lot more ways as I'm still quite new to this hobby. :rolleyes:

I'm not too fimiliar with any products that reduce nitrate, but the easiest way is to do partial water changes until it comes down to an acceptable level. Imo, it's best to avoid adding chemicals. I change about 25% of my water weekly and my nitrate is usually around 20ppm.

The problem I have with that is I use tap water (with a de-chlorinator), which makes the situation worse. :(

adam_jones said:
The problem I have with that is I use tap water (with a de-chlorinator), which makes the situation worse. :(
My tap water has 0 nitrates so I don't have to worry about it when I put it in my tank. I'm assuming you've tested your tap water for nitrates? I don't think the de-chlorinator would have any effect on the nitrate level, unless I'm mistaken. I guess you would have to use something like Nita Zorb. I'm not sure what else you could do.

Hi, The best thing I've found to reduce NitrAtes is Nitra Zorb. Try THIS link. You just pop it in your filter and lasts for a few months. HTH.

Fat Boy said:
Hi, The best thing I've found to reduce NitrAtes is Nitra Zorb. Try THIS link. You just pop it in your filter and lasts for a few months. HTH.
Do you have to put Nitra Zorb in a pouch or doe's it come in a pouch? How much doe's it reduce the nitrates? I'd like to try it in my Aquaclear filter if it's effective.

Thanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back