hey

Kissesfrommoni

Reaction score
Hi my name is Monika and I live in New York.
I just came into this hobby through one of my friends.
I dont have any fish yet but hopefully Ill get some soon. lol

Welcome Monika...I'm from NY too. Read a lot here before diving in and avoid the urge to not cycle the tank. Good luck and welcome aboard. SH :hi:

Hey its cool to see some ppl from NY. LOL. Im from Brooklyn.
Whats cycling?
See you around.

Another New Yorker here. I'm from Westchester, but it's cool; I was born in the Bronx.

You don't know what cycling is? I've been riding a bike since I was 5 years old. :p

Actually, cycling refers to the nitrogen cycle. It the biological filtration process necessary to keep your tank water free from toxins like ammonia, nitrites and nitrates that will harm or kill fish. It sounds more complicated than it is.

There are two basic methods to cycling - one is the traditional way, which means you set up a fish tank, let it run for a few days then add some hardy fish. You feed them for about a month or 6 weeks and when there is no more ammonia or nitrates in the tank then your tank has cycled.

The other method is called fishless cylcing, where you add ammonia to the tank to start the cycle but don't put any fish in. The ammonia can come adding in fish food and letting it decompose.

Do a search on this site, read the pinned topics, and search the internet. You'll find out more about cycling than you need to know.

Most reactions

Back