Help With Lighting/algae (diatoms)

maffa_82

Reaction score
i currently have a problem with diatoms (brown algae). ive read that to get rid of this i just need to increase the light in my tank but ive only got 1 18" 15 watt tube and is on for 10-12 hours a day but still get diatoms. ive bn looking to get a balast that can hold 2 18" 15 watt tubes but aint got a clue what to go for. could some one sugest a cheap twin 18" 15 watt tube ballast please.

http://www.firstlightdirect.com/pp/Fluores...cent_Tubes.html

this is the one ive been looking at. is this the reight one that would hold 2 18" 15 watt tubes?

i should also metion the size of the tank which is 55 litres (12 uk gallons / 14.5 us gallons)

ive just skimmed through about 8 websites on this type of alge and most of them say that it mostly grows in newly setup tanks like mine and normally goes after a few weeks thank god cuz it looks just plain ugly :sick:

im still looking for the twin tube ballest though cuz i want to make sure that the tank is getting enough light throught the day. so if any one has ideas on the ballast then let me know.

plus id like to know what tubes to get with the ballast, what would be best a colour temp of 10000k or 5000k?

For planted tanks, you want somewhere in the 65000K range generally. I'm using Arcadia Freshwater tubes, aswell as a ZooMed Ultrasun tube.

Check this page for an idea on starters:

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/catalogue...ntrol-units.asp

Interpet Convertagear Fluorescent Light Control Unit (15w 18" tube) is the sort of starter you'll need going by the information you've posted. Basically you'll be wanting a light starter for a tube that will fit inside your hood. I'm guessing 18" is probably the best to go for. All tubes of 18" will be around the 15w mark, so you want a 15w T8 starter. T8 is the diametre of the tube (eight eighths of an inch, as apost to T5 which is five eighths of an inch). Really worth checking ebay for cheap starters. I've picked up starters for around £5 including shipping in the past :)

6500K :)

Starters - drop your light down to 8 hours, 10-12 is way too high for most tanks. Even with Estimative Index dosing with CO2 my lights are only on 8 hours per day.

cheers for the advice guys. will be cutting back on the hours that the light is on for.

Most reactions

Back