Help With Black Hairy Algie

rich72h

Reaction score
Hi fokes. Ran in to a bit of a problem this week, my tank has started to develop a black algie over my live plants and in tank filter. All the water parameters come back fine and doesnt seem to affect the fish. Ive cleaned the tank filter done a water change but it just comes back. Struggling to keep on top of this any ideas?

The tank I have is a roma 90 with an intank fluval filter that comes as standard.

I am new to live plants but with only 3 plants I didnt think it wouldnt affect the tank this much. Will I need too install a C02 system?

Thanks for the help.

I've got the same in my tank. Nothing can get rid of it, that I have found anyway. I scrubbed it all off, just to have it return. I have found that flying foxes love it and help keep it under control. And I actually get compliments on how cool it looks in the tank. :)

If you're not dosing CO2, it sound like your lights are too bright/on too long

Algae guide

Excel (liquid carbon) and/or equivalents kill BBA. Drain water and wipe/scrub affected surfaces with Excel, leave a while and put back in tank. After a day BBA turns white and disappears.

Be careful as some plants are melted by liquid carbon sources.

You then need to sort the cause of BBA, not enough fertilisers and/or too much light are common causes.

Sorry for the late reply I work a lot of awkward shifts. My lights are on for ten hours a day ive reduced them too 8hours a day now, in terms off them being too bright am not sure about. They were the standard lights I got with the tank and I just replaced them 2 weeks ago. Ive managed to clean most of it away its just staying on my filter now which ive found almost impossible too get rid off.

When you say not enough fertilisers what do you mean by that?

Ive bought a c02 kit now as my lfs said it was probably lack of c02 which was causing it, I just need to set it up and put it in the tank.

Thanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back