help please, getting to the exciting part!

leksie

Reaction score
Hi

I have recently bought a 32L Aqua-One tank (just under 10 US gallons.) I know its not huge but I live on campus and its the biggest I can get really.

It has what I think is a powerhead filter, lighting and has been set up with two plans (an amazon sword and something else, I'm not sure), gravel with some polished river stones as decoration. The tank is a fair bit higher than it is wide. I also have to check the heater, not sure if its working though I have it set at 26c (78) If not I will have to go coldwater as I cant afford a new heater.

How many fish could I ultimately house in this tank? And what are some good, hardy species to start with? I heard platies are good but my lfs says they aren't as hardy as they were, here anyway. He recommended some kind of small gourami? But I thought they were harder to look after??

The kinds of fish I am interested in are-
platies
tetras (but wouldnt want them on their own)
betta
gourami
some kind of algae eater.

So out of these which is best, and how many? Or any other suggestion?

ALso, they recommened leaving the tank running for a week, then cycling with a couple of hardy fish. Yay or nay? I dont think im patient enough for a fishless cycle.. :/

First off, fishless cycling is much kinder on the fish, its not uncommon to kill fish during the cycle.

Gouramis and Bettas don't mix, so either but not both. In a 10g I would reccomend a pair of honey gourami [EDIT: Not for cycling with fish though, only to a cycled tank], stear clear of dwarf gourami as they are weaker and more terratorial. Some oto's would be good as algae eaters, but add these last and in a small group (3-4) as they prefer mature tanks and to be in a group.

HTH

Jon

thanks jon, no I wasnt planning to have all those together, they are just the kinds of fish I like.

Would it be ok to start with say two platies?

And if I did, what kind/how many fish could I eventually have? I know platies are peaceful

Well if going with the betta option, 1 betta, 3-4 oto's and leave it at that, maybe a couple of platies or maybe african dwarf frogs. If you want to go the honey gourami route, 2 HG's, 3 platies and 3 oto's and thats still overstocked going by the inch per gallon rule, but manageable IMO if you get all male platies (nope, forget that, the betta will eat platty fry anyway, so it wont matter, try to keep a 2/1 ratio of female/males with the platies though).

Jon

I'd still go for only male platies if you are going to cycle with them as you'd otherwise end up with fry when your realy don't want any extra fish.

Hi leksie :)

Your tank is a nice size. It will be lovely when you have it finished. :thumbs:

Since you mentioned you are a student, portability is something to consider too. Some fish can be moved more readily than others.

A betta is an attractive fish, each one different from the next, and it goes well with a small school of corys. If you have a secure cover, African Dwarf Frogs are interesting too.

thanks inchworm. Thanks for all the replies guys.

So a betta would be ok in a new tank? Are they hardy or not? And excuse my ignorance but is a cory a kind of catfish?

I really like the frog idea, the cover is secure I think, it came with a hood that has a section at the front to open to feed. But I am in Australia and not sure if I can get those here? :S I know for some frogs we need an amphibian license

Any aussies on the forum?

Or any other suggestions, keep em coming :)

Hi again Leksie,

I definately haven't seen any frogs in the LFS's near me... I'll keep an eye out though and let you know.... There's still a couple in my area that I haven't visited....

Which campus are you at?

Jo

Oh, I knew that the bigger African Clawed Frogs weren't allowed there, but I didn't realize ALL frogs were restricted. I wonder why that is? :dunno:

Yes, leksie, corys are catfish. There are many different species of them, but they are all small and friendly toward the other fish.

Here's a link with pictures of them, although only a few are usually available at any given time. They are still discovering and naming new ones too. :D

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/calli...ra/g_thumbs.htm

They are bottom feeders, although they do play and swim up and down. A betta is mostly considered a top feeder. They get along so well because they do not conflict with each other's areas.

Corys are schooling fish so although one betta is all you can have at a time, several corys are necessary, if you go with them.

yeap im pretty sure we need an amphibian license for frogs, and I don't know if there are any that can live just in a tank, i think they need wet and dry habitat.

I was thinking either

3 platies and some tetras, or just platies

or

betta and 3 corys (is this too many, is two corys enough or do you need more)

which do you guys think is better (or betta, hah ok im not funny.)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back