help identify my fishies

JacopoFishy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
since I am so brilliant, I have forgotten the names of my newly purchased fish.

:*) :whistle: :p :lol:

I believe they are catfish. If not, they look it.
Wish I could take a picture and put it on here, but I shal describe them here.
-small fish appropriate and for community aquariums.
-have "whiskers", white bellies, and a black spot on their dorsal fins.
-also have a gray and black pattern on their bodies.
-black line on their sides
-black spots on tail
They are social and tend to school.

too bad I didn't make a mental note when I bought them. oh well, I have you guys. and I don't have to know their type. I'll live. besides, I have to go back to my LFS soon anyway, I owe the fish guy $1.65!! :lol:

Sounds like otocinclus affinis, Dwarf catfish. Commonly refered to as otos.

mmmm, I looked up pics on google of them, and I came across two pics on a website that resemble mine.

corydoras_sterbai_medium.jpg

corydoras_panda.jpg

please give all due credit and whatnot to http://www.aquariumfish.net/ as I found the pics on their site, and did not get permission..... :/ figured it wasn't a big deal. *shrug*

my fish look exactly like the first picture except for the spot on the dorsal fin, which is like the one in the second picture. mine also have a black line going halfway down their side.

still unsure.....

Those are called cory cats....There's alot of strain for that species, but if your not sure try the site fishprofiles.com as they pretty much have all FW fish info and pics.... Maybe you could find a pic of your catfish and the info you need....

Hi JacopoFishy :)

You are the proud owner of some Corydoras catfish, often called cory cats for short. :thumbs:

Here's a link with pictures of them. Perhaps you can find yours:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/calli...ra/g_thumbs.htm

Some of these fish are common and easy to find, while others are rare. I suggest that you try looking at C. trilineatus for a start. If it has that general appearance, we can help you tell if it's that or the others that resemble it.

Good luck! :D

I'm sure that whatever corys they turn out to be, you will be very happy to have these friendly fish. :wub:

thank you so much danio2004, Gsharky, and inchworm! :)

inchworm, that site was unbelievably helpful! I found my fishy :)
you were right!! at first I was convinced they were C. gomezi, but then I compared and mine are without a doubt C. trilineatus. thanx a ton!

yes, they are very mellow and friendly, too bad my black molly and siamese fighting fish have decided to pick on them. :( :/ :angry: I'm hoping it's only a bit of new-fish-in-the-tank hazing and it will stop once everyone gets settled down.

Most reactions

Back