Healthy fish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

john5748

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,

Just after some advice on feeding as I have read on numerous threads about the danger of overfeeding.

I normally feed my fish flakes in the morning (only as much as they can eat in a few minutes).

I have bought some bloodworm pellets from my lfs and have started to feed them a pellett at about tea time and the fish really seem to enjoy it.

I have a 400 litre tank with about 20 fish in it.

I have the following:

1 Angel fish
1 Red Tailed Black Shark
2 Dwarf Gouramis
2 Thai Glass Catfish
8 Neon Tetras
2 Guppies
2 Scissortails
2 Zebra Danios
2 Bristlenose Catfish (1 is about 3 inches and the other about 6 inches long)

I hope this helps.

Now that I have identified all of my fish can anyone tell me if there is any compatibility issues, and if this is sufficient or could I add additional fish without overstocking?

Tokis-Phoenix said:
What types of fish do you have? not all fish eat fish flakes.
Most do, but it's better to mix it up anyway.

You are not overstocked at all. In fact, you are at about half the capacity of your 100 gallon tank.

What I suggest you add first is a few more danios and a few more scissortails as these are both schooling fish and need to be in groups (5 min. for the danios, 6 min. for the rasboras). I also think your glassfish would appreciate a school.

However, you do have a few compatibility issues. The angelfish could end up eating some of the neons and possibly the guppies once it is fully grown. This isn't guaranteed but there is a danger so you might want to replace the neons with something slightly larger or of a different shape (eg: harlequin rasboras or black phantom tetras) or remove the angel and put something less likely to have neons for dinner in. On the other hand, angels that grow up with neons in their tank often won't view them as food (unless you seperate them for a while and then put them back together...) so you can try to keep them both if you are prepaired to risk it and are aware of what might happen and will keep a close eye and take action if a neon dissapears in future. You might have a similar problem with the RTBS but in such a spacious tank, the chance is less as with the RTBS the problem is more aggression than appetite and instinct.

Oh and the fish you have should all eat flake...

Sylvia thanks for the very comprehensive answer it has helped a lot and I think my neons should be ok with the angelfish as they have all been in the tank together for about 4 months and there has been no bother with them (so far, touch wood).

As for your suggestion about increasing the danios, glassfish and scissortails I was originally told at the lfs that two of each would be ok but your advice is the same as a book I got out of the library this weekend so I think I need to go back and educate my lfs ;) .

Most reactions

Back