Has my cycle began?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mac0eighty

Reaction score
Hey All,

Recently purchased a Biorb 30L cube, I've planted it with live plants and have Fluval stratum as substrate and the plants seems to be growing before my eyes.

I've added in fertiliser, de-chlorinator, beneficial bacteria, start-up liquids as specified on the bottle and I'm currently on day 14 so technically I can add fish, I want to start small and add Red cherry shrimp and a few nerite snails.

Question is, has my nitrogen cycle actually begun or do a need a starter fish, bigger than shrimp/snails to get the cycle going?

Last edited:
Hi.
If you want to know did your cycle start or done will need to test out
Ammonia
Nitrite and nitrate
But if you said that your plant has growing which mean the tank already established and you may or may not place any Fish yet.
I don't recommend putting shrimp first if you don't know your aquarium chemical status and condition. Shrimp are very sensitive to water parameter a little bit ammonia like 0.5 can cause random shrimp death. Better be careful.
Cycling can take about a month of you didn't do it properly the safe way is check your ammonia nitrate and nitrite. If you really sure that your plant already start to growth then I think you can add your fish and see how it goes but make sure your plant is not a single plant and must be heavy planted tank. I am not an expert maybe some other member can help you

If the plants are growing well and there's more than just the odd one or two, you can add fish but only a few. You need to measure ammonia and nitrite every day and if either of them show above zero, do a water change as big as necessary to get the reading to zero.
Fish, shrimps, snails etc excrete ammonia and filter bacteria convert it into nitrite. Plants use ammonia as fertiliser, and they don't turn it into nitrite. They also take it up faster than the bacteria. Provided there are enough plants to use all the ammonia made by the tank occupants, you should be OK, but start off slowly to be on the safe side.

However, 30 litres is a small tank - do you intend just the shrimps and snails, or do you intend fish as well? 30 litres is perfect for a shrimp tank :)

Hi.
If you want to know did your cycle start or done will need to test out
Ammonia
Nitrite and nitrate
But if you said that your plant has growing which mean the tank already established and you may or may not place any Fish yet.
I don't recommend putting shrimp first if you don't know your aquarium chemical status and condition. Shrimp are very sensitive to water parameter a little bit ammonia like 0.5 can cause random shrimp death. Better be careful.
Cycling can take about a month of you didn't do it properly the safe way is check your ammonia nitrate and nitrite. If you really sure that your plant already start to growth then I think you can add your fish and see how it goes but make sure your plant is not a single plant and must be heavy planted tank. I am not an expert maybe some other member can help you

Very helpful.

My readings are near 0, I've tested 4 times over the space of 2 weeks now.
I think I'll wait a month to be safe than sorry.

I do have a Seachem ammonia badge which is reading yellow = safe but I would rather the plants reach a height/density where I want before adding any livestock? I also haven't finished adding my prefered plants to complete my aquascaping.

If the plants are growing well and there's more than just the odd one or two, you can add fish but only a few. You need to measure ammonia and nitrite every day and if either of them show above zero, do a water change as big as necessary to get the reading to zero.
Fish, shrimps, snails etc excrete ammonia and filter bacteria convert it into nitrite. Plants use ammonia as fertiliser, and they don't turn it into nitrite. They also take it up faster than the bacteria. Provided there are enough plants to use all the ammonia made by the tank occupants, you should be OK, but start off slowly to be on the safe side.

However, 30 litres is a small tank - do you intend just the shrimps and snails, or do you intend fish as well? 30 litres is perfect for a shrimp tank :)
Thanks for your reply.

Deffo fish as well, the tank currently sits on my shelf in my living room and I want it to be part of the decor so any fish that compliments the room and can co-exist with the shrimp and snail would be ideal.

You've lready found in yuor other thread that your choices are limited with this sized tank. You have time to decide while waiting for your plants to start filling out.

You've lready found in yuor other thread that your choices are limited with this sized tank. You have time to decide while waiting for your plants to start filling out.
Yeah thanks for your help!

It looks like you are basically doing a planted/silent cycle with your plants. That is what I do with my tanks, it has worked very well for me.

Most reactions

trending

Back