Hardness And Alkalinity

LionessN3cubs

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I know there is another thread going right now about this and even tho I AM posting in the scientific section.....ya'll are killing my head with all that stuff I dont understand. So here....Im asking a question, asking those in the know to use their scientific knowledge, but to pretty please give me a simple answer for dummies LOL

I have a 10 gallon tank. Ph out of my tap is 6.0. I add dechlorinator and it rises to 7.6. My KH is about 9. I have 2 mollies, 3 adult platys 2 platy fry and an apple snail. I need to make my water hard and alkaline for the mollies but not too high for the platys and snail.

What is the best way to get hard and alkaline water that would be safe for all of the creatures in my tank?

Note: The platy fry MIGHT be moving to a new home soon

Rift Lake conditioner is the best way to increase the GH & KH of the water, as well as raising the PH. You can use it at about 1/3 to 1/2 strength depending on how hard your tap water is. You will need to check your tap water for GH and then decide how hard you want it. Then add the appropriate amount of conditioner to increase the hardness to the desired level.

However, if your PH is 7.6 and the KH is 9 I wouldn't worry about changing the water chemistry for the fish. Only increase the general hardness if the mollies have problems and keep coming down with disease. Otherwise just leave it be.

Rift Lake conditioner is the best way to increase the GH & KH of the water, as well as raising the PH. You can use it at about 1/3 to 1/2 strength depending on how hard your tap water is. You will need to check your tap water for GH and then decide how hard you want it. Then add the appropriate amount of conditioner to increase the hardness to the desired level.

However, if your PH is 7.6 and the KH is 9 I wouldn't worry about changing the water chemistry for the fish. Only increase the general hardness if the mollies have problems and keep coming down with disease. Otherwise just leave it be.

The black mollies eyes dont look quite right...Im thinking it might have pop eye because of the water stats. Thats why I was looking raise the PH and hardness.

if the eye is sticking out a bit from the skull then it could be pop-eye, however that is brought about by a bacterial infection and changing the PH won't make any difference to it. A broad spectrum anti bacterial medication would probably clear it up.

Most reactions

Back