Guppy Babies

n10lan

Reaction score
Hi, i have just found 4 guppy babies ( not sure on tech term ) and so whats to keep them. My female guppys are also breeding and are very large, as though they are about to lay eggs, whats the best to do with the babies and females, cheers. :)

Hi, i have just found 4 guppy babies ( not sure on tech term ) and so whats to keep them. My female guppys are also breeding and are very large, as though they are about to lay eggs, whats the best to do with the babies and females, cheers. :)

Guppys are livebearers meaning they give birth to live fry/baby fish instead of eggs. How many male and female guppys do you have? Fry-raising wise, you can buy special powdered or liquid food from your local fish store to feed the fry in their early stages, after that fish flakes and other fish foods should surfice :) . Fry should preferably be fed 3-5 times a day.
Adult guppys can eat fry, even their own, so if you want to help ensure these fry make it to adulthood you can buy a breeding net (despute the term, this should only be used for raising small quantities of baby fish in their early stages of life rather than breeding adult fish in) and put it in the tank with the fry in. This will protect the fry from adult fish while they are young- most adult guppys leave the fry alone once they are a month old :thumbs: .

Hi, I'm sure someone with more experience will answer but my son, has had lots of guppy babies, as far as I can see they give birth to live ones, and dont lay eggs. He has marble type pebbles in his tank so they can hide from the adults, plus lots of plants for them to hide in. They also like to hide under a bit of bogwood. Some do go urmm well missing (think eaten) but a fair few still survive. Stuff that he read says to seperate them, but as we only had one tank at the time, lots of hiding places was all we could do. He also crashes up the fish food in a plastic bag for the fry to eat. Not sure if this is what others would advise only what has worked for us. :D

oops ok someone beat me to the reply.

Most reactions

Back