Guppy babies on the way

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishwatcher

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
South Carolina... Smiling Faces, Beautiful Places.
I recently bought a pair of guppies, and the female was already pregnant. How do I know when she'll have them, and what should I do?
Though I've had a fish tank before, I don't know very much about them, so any help will be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!!!

Nothing really unless you want all the fry to survive then you would need a breeder net or a spare tank. But if you don't have either of the two just put some plants in there and eventually you will see some little ones swimming around just crumble up the flakes smaller than you usually would and they will pick it up. I had a tank with just female guppies and they didn't even eat the smallest of fry.

:wub:
I am in the same position as you. I have a female guppy that is pregnant. I read somewhere that if she does not eat she is geting closer to the due time and that if the male follows her everywhere, she might give birth soon.

good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Just the last 2 days she's gotten very timid acting, hiding most of the time. For about 3 hours yesterday I though she had just died somewhere in the tank.... I couldn't find her for a long time. (It's only a ten gallon tank, but it has quite a few live plants in it, so she has plenty of places to hide.) Finally she just popped up out of nowhere. Then last night she stayed behind the filter pipe-thing. She had been very outgoing (for fish, that is!) and swimming everywhere. I am wondering if her hiding all of a sudden means labor is about to start or just something else totally. I don't really want every fry to live in my tank (I mean, not to sound awful but it's only a 10 gal), but I wouldn't mind if one or 2 lived on. I wonder if a male fish can breed with his offspring without there being any problems? I know some animals can, other can't... I just wonder about fish.
So how long have you had a tank set up?

My female guppies don't hide at all they just go about their buisness as normal skimming the top of the tank and they still eat! I geuss that is good cause then she won't eat the babies lol.

mines been up for 2 monthes. we got her a month ago, 5 weeks after we got the tank.

if you put her in a seperate tank, slowly, she will give birth, BUT if you want to keep the fry, she will need to go into another tank for 2 weeks because if you put her in the community tank she will be harrased, plus she might give birth again. :wub:

Good luck :clap:

If you only want 1 or 2 to live then I wouldn't do anything different. If you have a well planted tank then a couple are sure to survive hiding among the plants.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back