Guppies advice needed…

FishKids

Reaction score
I began my first Tropical fish experience with a (12G) Nano cube that I began cycling for several weeks before buying 2 platies. The H2O levels were carefully monitored and about 1 week later (4-weeks total) added 1-Butterfly Loach, 5-Rummy Nose Tetra, and 1-Cardinal Tetra. Four days later I brought a sample of water to the fish store to test and confirm that NH3, NO2, NO3 levels were “0”. A rookie in the store sold me fish that arrived that very day, 3-Neon Tetra, 3-female Fancy-tail Guppy, 1-male Fancy-tail Guppy. The addition of all these fish SO quickly, I learned after the fact, was a one huge mistake. Not withstanding the water being GREAT the guppies ARE having trouble surviving. The day immediately following the male guppy was noticed having slight discoloration on his beautiful orange tail, and 1 of the females stopped eating (…or never ate) and finally died :-( . No sooner than I removed the dying guppy did I noticed the other large female guppy stopped eating as well. She was alive and placed into a separate plastic bag for transport back to the fish store. Well, on the way she gave birth to 25 fry! With a crash course on raising fry I purchased a netted cage and fry food and was on my way. 12-hours later the mother has still not eaten (4-5 days now) and now the only male guppy stopped eating as well. Something is going wrong and I fear losing the mother and that male guppy. All the other fish in the tank are extremely well, including the tiny female guppy that was purchased the same day as all the others. I think the fish were shocked from the delivery, 1st from the wholesaler to the retailer’s tank, and then my tank all in the same day. Max, the rookie sales person said, “I probably should not have sold you the fish on the same day, but I didn’t know they just came in.” Suffice-it-to-say, I could use some professional advice. Thanks. Additionally, the H2O temp is heated and a VERY steady 80-81 degrees

-_- What is your Ammonia, Nirite, Nitrate and pH levels?

:thumbs: It's not a good idea to buy fish that just arrived in the pet store, unless you have a quarantine tank. Fish take a while to settle into a new tank so that could reason why the guppies aren't eating. Female guppies get very stressed after delivering fry, so keep a eye on her. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back