Guniea Pig

mine live in a hutch in the shed and at night it is covered with material to keep them warm. in the daytime, i put them out in a big square hutch which is about 3x4. there are 2 of them. they are perfectly happy like that.

i don't think you should reconsider. i think what you are getting sounds ok. obviously bigger is always better, but they will do fine :thumbs:

i agree with others that you should get 2, because they are social animals and would get lonely on their own. they naturally live in groups, y'see.

they are very tame animals - mine have never bitten me in the 5 years i've kept them for. however, they can be quite shy so you have to play with them often (i play with them nearly every day) to keep them used to you :)

as for other care points, they like to eat fresh foods. mine love spinach, carrots, parsley, apple, potato, cucumber, celery, grass. basicly, they love most things. they aren't allowed iceberg lettuce or tomatos though.

also, make sure their hutch has an open half and a closed in half. i always put lots of hay in the closed half for them to sleep on and eat (imagine that - being able to lie in bed and eat your duvet!! :look: ).

also, if you go down to your local library and get some books out on keeping guinea pigs, that would be a good idea :thumbs:

if you have any questions, feel free to ask. :D

All the money in the world is not going to help you unless you get some more knowledge. I know my word is not law and so on but I have a fair bit of experience with them and mine are all healthy and happy.

Money wont help them when they are shoved out in thecold after being in a cosy lfs with mates and they can't tell you.

:crazy:

I think you could get away with keeping a non-domesticated cavy outside but never a domesticated one. They just are not made to be outside. Even of all the rabbit breeds only the dwarfs will survive outside, and rabbits are alot hardier then cavies. Besides them dying in the winter, they would also have to be taken in the house and let out to run around in some place other then their cage for at least 20 minutes a day. This is very beneficial for both the cavies and you. It's called floor time. You can do this in a bathroom. Keeping the animals outside sets a wall as to how much you can interact with them. You'll never be able to truely have the same bond you would have with them if you had to go get them from outside evertime you wanted to see them. It also is a pain to clean their cages, feed them, given them their veges, remove old veges, add hay, and change their water everyday when you have to go outside to do it.

Why did you say they need sawdust? They don't. Infact, if would probably cause respirtory problems when they inhale it.

From what I've heard it sounds more like you want a Netherland Dwarf then a cavy. You even have the hutch to do it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back