Green Algae On Glass

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

HayzH

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have taken to reducing the amount of time my tank lights are on...but i still have green algae on the inside of the glass and on the underside of the condensation tray??

Any suggestions?

I have taken to reducing the amount of time my tank lights are on...but i still have green algae on the inside of the glass and on the underside of the condensation tray??

Any suggestions?
Buy and alage magnet for the glass and just use wet filter floss to scrub off the alage on the condesation tray. Do you have any alage eaters in the tank? If none of the fish will eat them, try getting amano shrimp. Mine will cling to the glass to eat brown algae. I have my lights on from 7am to 7pm, and personally have never had an alage issue ever.

What kind of algae? GDA or GSA? There's an algae guide in PARC - check it out and let us know :good:

PARC
good.gif
5th topic

well i looked in both posts.

The algae on the glass doesnt appear in any of them...its a green film on the inside of the glass, gather due to water Quality?

However i do have what looks like green hair algae on my wood and fake plants. Its only a 66L tank, so no possibility of a plec, I've heard of Oto's, but never seen them on sale round here, could order some i spose? I have Peppered cory x 5, 6x Cardinal and 4x Platy in there already.

i keep cleaning the algae off but it comes back quite soon.

re-looking back on the link, its more like GDA....it will come off with the magnet scraper, but comes back within a day or so, it says to leave it to run its course? Or can i dose with any meds?

I wouldn't add meds, just keep doing weekly water changes to reduce the amount of nutrients the algae has to grow. If you have a local petco or petsmart they should usually have some otos. I found them at petsmart after some searching tucked away in a corner tank, they have been great so far. Three of them have completely cleaned the glass in my 125 gallon in a day and a half.

also if there is other windows in the room drawing the blinds could also help by reducing the amount of natural light getting into the aquarium.

well i bought 2x Yamato shrimp to help with the algea and no change, its all over the glass again!

I wouldn't add meds, just keep doing weekly water changes to reduce the amount of nutrients the algae has to grow. If you have a local petco or petsmart they should usually have some otos. I found them at petsmart after some searching tucked away in a corner tank, they have been great so far. Three of them have completely cleaned the glass in my 125 gallon in a day and a half.

also if there is other windows in the room drawing the blinds could also help by reducing the amount of natural light getting into the aquarium.

Don't like to contradict but well you know i'm going to now :rolleyes: I had the same issues and over the last month i have eradicated all but the stubbonest of the fillament algae. Much as it sound daft ADD ferts providing you have a planted tank. Its what i have done also adjust your water movement. All it took was for me to move the filter outlet to a more central line from the end of the tank to even the flow and the worst of the algae was gone at the next waterchange.

HTH

i dont have real plants. The green hair algea is back on the stones too i'll try to get a pic.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back