Green Algae Growth

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

White Whale

Granola bar gone bad....
Reaction score
Is green algae good or bad? I have some growing at the bottom of my 2.5 gallon tank. It's not thick, but it is spread over 50% of the floor. Do I need to take the algae out?

Not really. Actually, that algae uses nitrates that are still harmful for bettas when there's a lot of it in the tank.

You can prevent the algae with less light and food, of course, so you can kill it or stop its growth that way. You can easily scrub it off by the way.

Also, if you wanted to add a ghost shrimp or something to the tank, it'd probably eat some of it (though definitely not all!).

Tenx! So I guess I'll just leave it in there for a bit since there's no harm and it's not out of hand. I heard bettas eat algae sometimes. Is this true? I can't find a place near me that sells ghost shrimp. :angry:

actually, i have the same problem in the tank with my white cloud mountain minnows.... doesnt seem to harm them but its getting a bit out of control...i was thinking about tossing in an otto but they are so busy in my main tank i might have to get another one ;)

cheers!

Most reactions

Back