golden clam

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Fuzzy

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Can I keep a golden clam in a 5 gal with 2 white cheeked gobies? Anyone kept them?
I heard they r benificial(sp) and i like them anyways so I've been wanting one

thnx for any help

Clams require perfect water quality at all times and are easily killed by nitrogen pollution, if you can definately keep your nitrates below 10ppm at all times then i say go for it but if not leave them well alone, a dead clam can seriously pollute the water in a small tank very quickly.

If you can keep one you will need to feed it daily with planktonic foods, insofuria or comercial liquid fry foods are suitable or you could add a few drops of pond water if you have a good clean source.

I was going to keep freshwater clams too until I found out they use parasitic reproduction via fish. In other words the eggs/babies released into the water column by the clam attach to the fish and live off of them (like ich) until they can detach and live on their own. A little doesn't hurt the fish...but in an aquarium environment you eventually won't be able to control and outbreak. There will be thousands of them on your fish and they will eventually be killed.

Most reactions

Back