Gobi Dragon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gadazobe

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Now you know why all my plants are squashed :D - He's about 10" and has a brother or sister (not sure about that) in the tank with him.

Attachments

• Dscf0238.jpg
    Dscf0238.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 41
YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL... and I am not just saying that because you told me to.

What size tank is it? How do you keep that clean there are so many plants in there !!! its awsome!!!!
lets se some more of the whole tank :)

Wow!!!!!!

How do those things do with other fish!!

He (he?) is gorgeous!!! I love his (his?) coloring!!

Wow,

Silver
:eek: *mouth hangin open with aawww*

silver said:
Wow!!!!!!

How do those things do with other fish!!

He (he?) is gorgeous!!! I love his (his?) coloring!!

Wow,

Silver
:eek: *mouth hangin open with aawww*
I don't think they do, I have read they are predators and not communtiy fish.

:)

How big do they get? He looks massive!! Is he fat as well as long?

Thanks for all the compliments.

Contrary to what is written by many, gobi dragons are not predators, they are extremely peaceful fish that grow to about 12-13". They are sift feeders, with exceptionaly large mouths. They sift through the substrate and water taking out any food that they find. Mine thrive on daphnea, frozen bloodworm and baby brine shrimp but they don't eat flakes. Their very small eyes only enable them to see what is literally in front of them and they find their food by smell. I have to feed them with a turkey baster, otherwise by the time they reach the food, the other tankmates have eaten it all. In fact, a lot of dragons die in captivity coz they starve to death.

My two live in a heavily planted (with lots of squashed plants) community tank with red torpedoes, sailfin mollies, corys, clown loaches and polka dot loaches. My sailfins are always producing fry and the dragons have never ever eaten any of them. In fact, they're incapable of catching them and I've actually seen fry swim in and out of their open mouth.

Their colours are blue and violet (they're also called violet gobis)and once they are mature, they become quite terratorial - my two live on different sides of the tank and sometimes fight when they occasionally meet.

All in all, they make a great addition to any community tank and I highly recommend them to anyone that wants an interesting oddball, just as long as they are given lots of hiding places and a soft substrate that they can burrow into.

do they eat the ''crap'' in the rocks when they sift through it.. or do they jus make a big ol mess?.... may i ask how big he was when u bought him and how much he was :D

do they eat the ''crap'' in the rocks when they sift through it.. or do they jus make a big ol mess?.... may i ask how big he was when u bought him and how much he was

No they don't eat crap and most of the mess that they make is uncovering the roots of the plants when they burrow in the substrate. You can see the gravel flying all over the place when they start using their tails on it.

When I first got them they were about 3" long and skinny - it's taken close on two years to get them to this size and they cost me no more than £5 each from my local lfs.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back