Gill issue?

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

GabbyCat12

Reaction score
Hi. Not sure if this is an emergency since the fish seems like itā€™s doing ok, but wasnā€™t sure where to post this. I have a diamond tetra I bought at a pet store a few days ago. Its seems as the gill or the part above is stuck open? He was like this when I bought him. He is eating and seems fine but not sure if itā€™s something I can treat or what it even is. If anyone could help that would be great! The picture isnā€™t very good but he moves fast so itā€™s hard to take.

Attachments

• IMG_3874.jpeg
    IMG_3874.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 19
Looks like a deformed gill cover (genetic defect). If you don't mind it, keep the fish, otherwise return it and swap it for a fish that looks normal. It doesn't normally cause any long term issues and just looks unsightly. The gills on that side won't get as much water flowing over them but the difference is miniscule and won't affect the fish in the aquarium.

Looks like a deformed gill cover (genetic defect). If you don't mind it, keep the fish, otherwise return it and swap it for a fish that looks normal. It doesn't normally cause any long term issues and just looks unsightly. The gills on that side won't get as much water flowing over them but the difference is miniscule and won't affect the fish in the aquarium.
Thank you! I donā€™t mind if it is a defect, I was just worried it might be hurting the fish or something.

I like @Colin_T ā€¦ responseā€¦ I have a female Congo tetra that looks similar, that Iā€™ve had for a yearā€¦ if itā€™s any consolation, it must be an attractive trait to the fish, Iā€™ve had two males that she has been the apple of their eyesā€¦
I also wondered if she could have had gill flukes when she was younger ( before I bought her ) and been treated, if that could have caused the deformity???

Gill flukes don't cause that sort of deformity, it's just inbreeding and poor genetics. It happens in all fish and the deformed ones normally get culled out instead of being sold. Someone obviously got lazy and didn't remove it or they deliberately sold it.

Most reactions

Back