Geophagus jurupari

Dwarfs

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting the above mentioned fish. Does anyone have one and have reccomendations on how to keep them? What size tank do you keep them in or what size would be good? (us gallons please) I plan on keeping one in a 30 u.s.gallon tank with a pictus cat, a botia morleti, and a Purple spotted gudgeon. My dad says the geos aren't too colorful but they are sparkly. He also said they will help keep the gravel clean . All these fish except the botia get from 6-8 inches so the size range is good. The botia can fend for himself, if the gudgeon won't eat him, nothing i put in this tank will.

I say go for it...the jurupari is a great fish...hearty...peaceful....and very cute...they have a very cartoon-ish looking face....my sister has a jurupari and my neighbor just got two...they are a lot of fun to watch.....
I have a gymnogeophagus rhabdotus...and it is also a great fish....very colorful....
one geophagus to stay away from is the Brasiliensis(?)...that fish is very aggressive...
Ericka

Forget it, Satanoperca jurapari (the fish has been reclassified away from the geophagus group) gets to around 10 to 12" and will require a tank of at least 55 gallons and prefferably a 75. I keep a pair in my large tank and will be adding a few more once i have moved some of the other fish out.

I wouldnt say the brassiliensis was a aggressive fish, certainly less so than similar sized fish like green terrors and convicts. I keep a breeding pair of these in a 40g with other fish and have had no problems with aggression.

You would be better to add another two pictus cats rather than another species as they preffer to be kept in a group, the same goes for the loach.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back