garlic and fish? good idea?

Platinumpete

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have heard that garlic makes the fish taste horrble to the parasites, is that true?

I have a fish with an internal parasite which is causeing her to lose weight fast. (she spits her food out)

So should I just start squeezeing garlic juice into my fish food? :dunno:

garlic is unnatractive to parasites, because it smells like poison to them. It isn't good for your fish, either. Garlic is really dangerous stuff, some people think it has benefits, but it is too risky IMO.

I read in one of my old TFH Mags, that it's really good for Discus that suffer from parasites, and it mentioned that it should be added to their food every once in a while as a dietary suppliment for disease prevention. The arcticle didn't go on to say wether it was safe for ALL fish, but I can't see why it wouldn't be.
My fish seem to enjoy it, and they're all happy/healthy and over a year old!

So you tried it on all of your fishes in your 20 gallon tank? Do you just take a piece of garlic and squeeze the juices into the fish food and feed it to the fishes? The fish that was infected with the parasite just died so i'm not sure should I still tried it out on my healthy fishes....

i use a food that contains garlic. it doesnt say on the packaging what is in it but it does smell of garlic.
i got it from dorsetdiscus.

I personally don't think it would hurt giving it to your other fish on occasion.
Squeezing the garlic works well, I had originally tried mashing it and adding little chunks...lol..the fish would suck on it for a bit...spit it out..all the fish seemed to enjoy it, but they don't seem to actually eat the garlic..so I just squeeze it onto floating or sinking tabs (flakes are a little trickier to saturate).

Most reactions

Back