Freshwater Flounder vs Brackish Flounder???

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

teamfargo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I guess I shouldn't have trusted the lfs (again). I bought this little freshwater flounder. They said that he would not get very big at all and eats flake food. He was under 3.00 so I grabbed him as I wasn't too sure he would still be there by the time I got back.

How that I have him in my tank, I see (from the forums) that he is probably a brackish fish and not a freshwater one. How do I tell if I have a true freshwater flounder? BTW, he is about an inch in legnth.

I ran back out tonight and got some frozen bloodworms for him to eat. I have already learned a great deal about flounders in general from looking thru old posts...like the fact that he is in the wrong substrate at the moment!

http://img3.imgspot.com/u/04/218/06/flounder2.jpg

From the picture your fish looks like it is most likely to be Brachirus salinarum which is a esturine brackish dwelling fish which will often be found in full salt water too. Although this fish is often found in freshwater in the wild in captivity they dont live long without the addition of some salt, a SG of 1.005 would be the minimum recomended salt level.

The only freshwater flat fish which is seen with any regularity in fish stores is the Peruvian sole Achirus nattereri which has a much rounder shape and a more grey colouration.

Thank you...that's what I was afraid you were going to say. I think I will see if the petstore will take him back. I really don't want him dying while in my care.

Most reactions

Back