Fishless cycling problems

Jello

Reaction score
I am fishless cycling my 25 gallon tank and closing in on week 6. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or just becoming impatient. At week 3 the ammonia reading was 0, so I started to add 1 teaspoon of ammonia a day. The end of week 6 will be on Saturday and my ammonia reading is still 0 but the nitrite content is still at 1.6 mg/L according to Nutrafin's Master Test Kit. Does anyone have any suggestions or am I just being impatient? I have been using an article from aquahobby.com as my reference.

Wilder said:
:lol: You give him an article that he already has said hes using.

I would check that test kit, it seems that they expire rather quickly so if its pretty old i would take some water to your LFS and have them test it. If it isnt your test kit, make sure you using pure ammonia and if so try adding more. I personally think its going to be your test kit thats screwed up.

Sorry didn't realise not my day today.

I would do a 20% change and then add some cycle of stresszyme. Mine was taking ages so I did this and not only do I have crystal clear water my nitrite dropped!

I did the water change and added cycle so I will monitor it and see how it goes. Thanks for your help.

At the LFS the guy I talked to said not to add any ammonia to the tank after doing the water change. I was wondering if this is the best way to do it or should I be adding ammonia to feed the bacteria? He's not a fan of fishless cycling. :huh:

Just been a thread done on it saying it's great, should be for the price. :lol:

I've called most of the LFS here in Victoria and nobody carries it so maybe its not available in Canada?

Most reactions

trending

Back