Fishing - A Fish Ive Been After For Years :)

guppy_man

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
There this lake that im a member of called llantarnem ponds, 3 ponds running from a small stream.
Anyway ive been fishing this same pond ( the smaller of the 3) for about 4 years, and most of the time i see a golden tench, which i always used to try and catch, ( Its the only golden tench in this lake ). This tench always pops up on my peg once some feed has been put in, but its a really finicky biter, it would suck the bait in and blow it out without the float budging a mm.

But today first time using a pole for a whole session, using a 6inch pole float, size 16 animal hook, 6-8 elastic, 6lb mono, maggot and sweetcorn cocktail I HOOKED IT!!! It went nuts, i don't think it has been hooked before because of how finicky it is. My elastic was at full stretch i thought i was going to loose it :blink: Its not a particularly big fish but it gave me the right run around for atleast 5 minutes. 3 years aiming to catch 1 fish :lol:

My first golden tench, gorgous looking fish, dont you agree?

Hes got a full tail, its covered buy the net....
DSC02972.jpg

Sorry about the bad hair, it was 6am :huh:
DSC02974.jpg

DSC02976.jpg

It's a beaut! :good: I'm not really into fishing so your description kind of went over my head, but congrats anyways. :lol:

:good: lol unless you've done fishing, the terms for things are practically a different language :lol:

Nice catch dude, i have never managed it yet either.

He would have released it, we always release in the uk unless trout or salmon fishing.

That cant be the only golden tench in youre lake as these fish are sneeky and will be very shy due to being the most pressured fish if by youre description you say you see it in youre swim that would mean everyone will target them therefore they would learn not too be so bold in taking baits. :nod:

Other than that top fish mate and well done :good: :hyper:

There this lake that im a member of called llantarnem ponds, 3 ponds running from a small stream.
Anyway ive been fishing this same pond ( the smaller of the 3) for about 4 years, and most of the time i see a golden tench, which i always used to try and catch, ( Its the only golden tench in this lake ). This tench always pops up on my peg once some feed has been put in, but its a really finicky biter, it would suck the bait in and blow it out without the float budging a mm.

But today first time using a pole for a whole session, using a 6inch pole float, size 16 animal hook, 6-8 elastic, 6lb mono, maggot and sweetcorn cocktail I HOOKED IT!!! It went nuts, i don't think it has been hooked before because of how finicky it is. My elastic was at full stretch i thought i was going to loose it :blink: Its not a particularly big fish but it gave me the right run around for atleast 5 minutes. 3 years aiming to catch 1 fish :lol:

My first golden tench, gorgous looking fish, dont you agree?

Hes got a full tail, its covered buy the net....
DSC02972.jpg

Sorry about the bad hair, it was 6am
:huh:
DSC02974.jpg

DSC02976.jpg
6am is no excuse for bad hair!!

oh yeah nice fish btw :lol:

That's nice that you release all the fish in The UK. Wish people where that nice here in america.

Very nice fish matey!!

I used to fish a lake when i was younger that had quite a few of these in, and they are nice fish to catch.

:good:

i've ALWAYS had trouble catching tench, it took me about 6 months to catch my first!

That cant be the only golden tench in youre lake as these fish are sneeky and will be very shy due to being the most pressured fish if by youre description you say you see it in youre swim that would mean everyone will target them therefore they would learn not too be so bold in taking baits. :nod:

Other than that top fish mate and well done :good: :hyper:

I am being serious :look: ... the lake isnt that big, maybe half the size of a football pitch, 4ft deep and crystal clear(as you can see in the pics), this fish along with a few ghost carp stand out like a saw thumb :lol: which is why its so hard to catch.

Tangokitty - i released the fish back into the lake as i do with ALL course fish, i do it just for the pleasure not food.

Im going down again this weekend, to see if i can get a decent bag of fish, and if i see the tench in my swim again(which i probably will) ill take pics of it to show you.

Got a tip for you then about these fish being wary try using a flurocarbon hooklink / mainline and a stonze weight the fish cannot see these so therefore they lose there waryness it worked wonders for me on my local stretch of river.

Most reactions

Back