Fish To Human Infections

sophie trophy

Reaction score
Hi...

I posted a piece on the general forum, but I wonder if this is a better place for it. I have just read your thread about fish to human diseases and scoured the internet for more inof, but have come accross nothing like this.

About 6 months ago, I was cleaning my aquarium, and a few hours later I developed a conjunctivitis - itchy, gritty eyes which I couldn't open, and therefore I couldn't see. This has happened on the two occasions I have done any other tank maintenance since (however minimal), and hence I can now only do work on the aquarium with a diving mask...!

I am guessing that no-one has heard of anything similar, nor knows what bug could be causing it (Definitely something in the tank). My fish don't appear to be diseased, but I am no expert, and I can't look too closely anyway.

Does anyone know about identifying harmful bacteria in aquaria? Maybe taking cultures etc? Otherwise, would some broad spectrum antibiotic work to get rid of the infection?

My only other option is to completely disinfect the aquarium, which is not an attractive approach!

Hi...

I posted a piece on the general forum, but I wonder if this is a better place for it. I have just read your thread about fish to human diseases and scoured the internet for more inof, but have come accross nothing like this.

About 6 months ago, I was cleaning my aquarium, and a few hours later I developed a conjunctivitis - itchy, gritty eyes which I couldn't open, and therefore I couldn't see. This has happened on the two occasions I have done any other tank maintenance since (however minimal), and hence I can now only do work on the aquarium with a diving mask...!

I am guessing that no-one has heard of anything similar, nor knows what bug could be causing it (Definitely something in the tank). My fish don't appear to be diseased, but I am no expert, and I can't look too closely anyway.

Does anyone know about identifying harmful bacteria in aquaria? Maybe taking cultures etc? Otherwise, would some broad spectrum antibiotic work to get rid of the infection?

My only other option is to completely disinfect the aquarium, which is not an attractive approach!

How long did the symptoms last?

Most likely cause would be a chemical irritant rather than bacterial, possibly an allergic reaction, given the short duration between exposure and symptoms. There are finer signs that can differentiate between the different causes but unfortunately the symptoms are all fairly similar. Bacterial infections tend to originate from bacteria on the skin surface or the nose and upper airways. There are a few reports of marine organisms causing eye infections. This is highly unlikely to be viral from what you have said. Best advice is avoidance (as you are doing) or if it recurrs and doesn't improve and especially if your vision deteriorates, seek professional help.
No help taking cultures from aquaria or disinfecting it, or using oral antibiotics. Anti bacterial eye drops used without knowing the underlying cause may make things worse.

Most reactions

Back