1 x Rena Xp4

Lighting - T5 twin light bar

Substrate - Eco complete African cichlid (carib) sand

Decor - River Cobbles

Water Chemistry - Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Ph 8.2

Maintenance - Weekly water changes at about 20%, weekly substrate hoovering over open areas, clean filters 5/6 monthly and good clean of all tank when I re jig rockwork after introducing new stock or removing holding fems

Feeding - Currently; Tetra pro veg flake, spirulina flake, home-made frozen mix made with peas, spinach, shrimp and garlic. Also odd veg like cucumber, spinach ect, and one "fast" day a week.

Fish - 2x Metriaclima Fainzilberi (WC Male, WC Female)
2 x Tropheops sp Zimbabwe Rocks (WC Male, WC Female)
2 x Metraclima Membe deep (F1 male , F1 female)
2 x Tropheops "red cheeks" (F1 male , F1 female)
2 x Elongatus Flavus ( F1 male , F1 female)
3 x polit " lions cove" (F1 male 2 x F1 female)
2 x Pseudotropheus "red top" Ndumbi (F1 male , F1 female)
3 x Cynotilapia afra "Jalo reef" ( Tb female 2 x Tb male)
3 x Elongatus usisya ( Tb male , 2 x Tb female)
4 x Labidochromis caeruleus (2 x Tb males , 2 x Tb females)
3 x Melanochromis Johanni (2 x Tb male , 1 x Tb female)
6 x Acei "yellow tail" ( 2 x Tb male , 4 x Tb female)
2 x Melanochromis interuptus (1 x Tb male , 1 x Tb female)
5 x Labidochromis Hongi "red top" (2 x Tb male, 3 x Tb female)
2 x Pseudotropheus Socolofi (Tb male Tb female)
6 x ancistus Bristlenose

Additional comments - Tank is the product of just over a years journey into the world of Mbuna.After several projects over the last year and loads of research - I have finally got the image in my head in front of my eyes :fun:
Now to continue with the dream stock list :wub:

wow, 49 fish, didnt think i would be able to keep that many in a rio 400, definatelt going to start gettin some cichlids, great setup by the way

thats a BN's dream tank... lots of large flat surfaces to eat off and crevaces to hide in!

you could put 25 of them in there and still not see one! :lol:

excellent tank mate, should be chuffed... im currently converting my 48x24x24 over to malawi's.

Really nice tank Realtree, :good: it really makes me pine for my old rift valley set-up.
Do you not worry about the weight of all that rock? I used to use "tuffa rock" which weighs much lighter, & also keeps the PH up being calcium rich.

My main rift tank was 48"x 18"x 15" using tuffa rock, coral gravel, filtered by an external canister filter, an Atlantis 600 I think it was. In which I kept & bred the following: Pseudotropheus Lombardoi, Pseudotropheus pindani (socofoli, Pseudotropheus elongatus/ornatus,Scianochromis Ahli, Crytocara moorii,Haplochromis fenustratus & melanochromis chipokae.

In various other tanks I kept & bred: Neolamprologus Cylindricus, Julidochromis regani, Neolamprologus brichardi. I also bred some shell dwelling cichlids & Steatocranus Cassuaris in quite large quantities.

I also used to show large adult specimens of: Haplochromis Ovatus & Dimidiochromis (formerly haplochromis)Compressiceps ( I wanted to breed this fish but the male killed its mate) :sad:

It really brings it all back to me seeing your pics - well done mate :nod:

fantastic Real Tree

I;ve never kept Mbuna or even looked into them in all these years but that looks fab

can you take some close up pics of the fish so I can see what fish you have, as I;ve never paid any interest to african cichlids I don;t know wha tthe scientific names refer to. I;m going to start reading up on them and do one in the future

Most reactions

Back