Filter

eudielynn

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I am so glad I found this sight. You have already answered so many questions I had, but I have another one. I have an undergravel filter in my 20 gal tank. It has tubes on either end of the tank and each one has an airstone at the bottom and a charcoal pack at the top. The tank has been set up for about four weeks now. The guy at the LFS told me that I should change the charcoal packs about once a month. I know it takes about 6 weeks for the tank to fully cycle. Should I go ahead and at least change one of the charcoal packs now, or should Iwait until the six weeks are up. :dunno: I am doing regular water changes, about 20% every three days and I have rinsed off the charcoal in tank water several times. I have 6 zebra danios, a betta, a pleco, and an apple snail in the tank right now. Thanks in advance!!

Charcol in the filter is really a matter of opinion - some use it, some don't. It's very good for taking out the impurities in the water and getting rid of medications - the only thing about it is that if you want it, it has to be changed regularly otherwise it will leach the impurities that it's collected back into the water. Your's is now 4 weeks old and should be changed.

Personally I dont use charcol at all.

Thanks, I already bought additional charcoal, so I will change them tonight when I do the water change. If you don't use charcoal is there something else you should use with an undergravel filter in its place?

As gadazobe said, the charcoal is optional. It is often recommended if you are treating your tank to remove the charcoal. Personally I would use them for a week or two at a time when needed, but not all the time.

UG filters use the gravel as it's filter media and the riser tube is simple to create flow.

I'm not suggesting scrapping the UG filter at all, but there are a couple other filter styles (canister and overflow most commonly) that are more efficient and easier to work with. Also the type of fish you keep makes a huge difference. You can get away with a UG system in a small tank with small fish where you couldn't in a larger tank with large/messy fish.

Thanks again. The LFS sounds like they wanted to make me a regular customer for their charcoal packs. So glad you guys are around to help us poor newbies out. :nod:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back