filter opinion

billy_69

Reaction score
im in the process of should i say getting a 90 gal ready. the stands built the tanks bought now its the filters time. Im really taking my time with this tank trying not to rush anything. ive been looking at powerfilters, the hang on the side type. is marineland a good brand? canister filters r getting a little pricy for my liking but if they better for the money then i may fork out the cash??? ive read some books and some say you can never over filter and they suggest getting 2 filters??? got me??

For a water quality perspective i reckon you may never over filter, but for a turbulance point of view i think more than one could be un-necesary.

I prefer canister filters, but thas all ive had experiences with!

Anyone else?

Canisters and Hanging filters both have their benefits, which is why I tend toward one of each. On my 90 gallon I run an Aquaclear 500 and an Eheim 2217, for pretty messy fish. With a lighter load I'd still be inclined to go with two filters, but I'd have gone perhaps with an Aquaclear 300 and a 2215.

Whichever type you go with, I agree with anyone who recommends going with two filters - having intakes and waterflow on both sides of the tank does wonders for cleanliness.

Marineland is a good make. So is Aquaclear. Rena xps get great support, and you can't go wrong with an eheim. For that matter, I've had good luck with Fluvals. Any decent brand filter will do the job. I like canisters, but they're not worth breaking the bank over, IMO. If money is a concern, get the HOB and spend the money on the fun part - the fish. HOB's are inexpensive yet very efficient, not to mention super easy to maintain.

I have both the Marineland Emperor 400 and the Penguin 330 filters. I'm very happy with both of them. I'd recommend using 2 on a 90 gallon tank

I've fallen in love with the Magnum 350 canister filters. This is the only model of canisters I've used, and I'm very happy with my first choice. (I have 3 of them currently). They box/website says it's designed to filter up to a 55 Gal but I have one (and one only) on a 125 gal with a UV light and the water is crystal clear. I also have a Penguin 330 on a smaller tank (29 Gal) that I'm very happy with. You can find Mag 350s online for $100 or locally (here at least) for $125 - $150.

I'm hesitant to make any kind of 'recommendation' because there are great filters made in both styles... but if it shows anything... after seeing the Mag 3590 at work on my 125 Gal... I bought two more for a larger pond...

Save yourself alot of time and money. Get yourself two aquaclear 110's (500). www.petsmart.com @ $38 each plus shipping.

You can use any media for a canister in an aquaclear. Much easier to maintain plus cheaper.

Have two on my 100 gallon. The only filters you'll need!

I have one eheim 2217 on my 90g...its rated up to 160g and turns over somewhere around 350gph i think. Honestly, I think its your best bet. I bought mine used and its so old that it says made in West Germany (!) but ive never had a problem with it. Add activated carbon to it and its perfect!

Most reactions

Back