Feeding My Fish

Verdifer

Reaction score
Im fairly new to fishkeeping, I got my first tropical fish tank a few weeks ago (kept goldfish as a boy), I have been reading up on the net a lot (yes I have a lot of time on my hands lol), I stumbled across this forum and read through the forums daily, there is loads of things on the net about feeding time but it generaly says whatever they will eat in 2 minutes is what you give them and I find the guys at LFS's are good but they seem to be stuck in their ways and won't budge on any different ideas.

My main question is about putting cucumer or Zucchini also know as courgette here in the UK.

I have an Albino Bristlese Catfish, the Star of my Tank, I have read up on what he eats and how he eats the leftovers at the bottom of the tank, Algae Wafers and off course the cucumer and Zucchini, the Algae wafers seem to be eaten by all my fish so I'm not banking on them to feed him up, not much food ends up on the bottom of my tank so not much there for him.

He eats the cucumber and the Zucchini, but does the Zucchini need to be blanched before feeding it to him because he seems to munch away on it no problem if I just stick it in.

With the cucumber all my fish eat away at it, they can more or less strip it down in 1 night, I got told the cucumber is good for their digestion but I also read that there is not much in a cucumber nutrient wise so I'm wondering if cucumber will give him and the other fish what they need diet wise, also since all my fish eat away on the cucumber when a cucumber is in the tank should I stop feeding them fish flakes that day, also how often should Zucchini and cucumber be given I have been putting it in every 2 days.

I also got pellets for my bottom feeders from the pet shop the pellets are about 1cm wide but Ive noticed that when the break down they seem to swirl around the tank, and it looks like small bits of dust floating about all over the place with a few bigger bits floating around also, my Brother in law has been keeping fish for years now and swears they pollute the tank and won't touch them is he right.

I have read frozen peas are good and also lettuce, the lettuce I got told was a bit messy and maybe should be avoided the frozen peas im not to sure because it could be lost in the tank and not eaten and start to rot, my Bristlenose likes to redo the whole sand bottom with his tail during the night so Im a bit worried the pea could be buried.

Most reactions

Back