Feeding Guppy fry

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Guppy_Baby_Lover

Reaction score
Hello. I recently purchased 2 female guppies and 1 male guppy. The very same day one of my female guppies had babies. By this time i had already put her into the breeding tank and mostly all of the fry had fallen into the trap. She has had 36 fry and so far I have only had 1 death. I just wanted some advice on how my feeding techniques are. I ask this only because my last batch i had all died during the night. I feed my fry on "liquifry No2" which is for guppies and mollies. I feed them 3/4 times per day, always at least 4 hours between each feed. They are now 5 days old and are going strong. I was shocked today when I came back from school and realised that my second female had given birth to what i think was about 16 fry. These are also in the new breeding tank. Any suggestions on feeding would be much appreciated. :thumbs:

Hi Guppy_Baby_Lover :)

I made a thread for you in this section. I think you'll get some good answers from other guppy keepers here. :D

I find a good way to feed fry is to take a coffee grinder (old preferrably) and grind up some flakes and keep them in a separate jar just for babies. Put it on espresso grind :) Cheap AND easy!

Or you can just grind up the flakes with your finger tips by rubbing them.
Also, in many fish food containers, there's always crumbs or even better, powder at the bottom of containers perfect to fit inside the fries tiny, tiny mouths. I fed my fry powdered flakes, bloodworms (powdered up also), and tubifex worms b/c they need alot of protien for healthy production. I fed mine 3-4x a day, then when they hit a month old i did it 3x a day. At 2 months, just feed the fry the same amount as you do the parents. Most important is to make the food as small as possible for their mouths. Do that and keep the tank warm(77-79F) and clean and you'll be good. :D

I do most of the above but sometimes I grab a one frozen bloodworm and chop it up to really small pieces, my fry love it. Just make sure the pieces are small enough.

I bought a packet of Hikari First Bites. It was only $2.99 at Petsmart. I feed them 4 times a day. :)

Guppylover said:
I do most of the above but sometimes I grab a one frozen bloodworm and chop it up to really small pieces, my fry love it. Just make sure the pieces are small enough.
Yes, and it will make them grow big and fast too! :nod:

Another good food for guppy fry is microworms. They take a little work to culture, but once you get one going it will last a long time.

I feed them to the cory fry and tried giving them to guppy fry too. I was amazed how much faster they grew when they started on them while they were tiny.

Here's a link with some information about them:

http://www.livefoodcultures.com/microworms.html

Most reactions

Back