False Advertisement?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I agree - it IS misleading (but probably not false advertising that would only be the case if they claimed you could keep a hippo in the tank!). You should all write to the manufacturers (especially whoever it is who has the barbs with the guppies) and request that they put a "maximum load" type of notice on the instructions. If you ALL do it they'll take some notice and you'll save a lot of people from disappointment of dead fish and a lot of fishy lives. SOLIDARITY, MY BROS.

Red said:
and request that they put a "maximum load" type of notice on the instructions
Right idea but wrong type of warning.

How can they tell what fish you'll have in the tank? Big fish or little fish. Community or non-community? Some fishes grow quicker than others. They can't tell you what the 'maximum load' is because they won't know.

It is up to you the buyer to do the research. For it is the fishkeeper who'll be buying their tanks, and looking after whatever fish/es they please. It is up to the fishkeeper to determine the 'maximum load'.

Sadly we are dealing the type of morons in many lfs who could just as easily be selling you a vacuum cleaner in the box - they don't care as long as they make their commission.

I still think a semi-comprehensive list of "x inches of fish per gallon" would be a good idea.

No. It is not false advertising. They are not advertising or trying to sell fish, they are advertising and trying to sell their tank/equipment. You can't falsely advertise something you are not even advertising. The tank manufacturer doesn't know or care what you are putting in the tank. It could be fish. Or frogs. Or other amphibians. Or crabs. Or shrimp. I admit the pictures often show grossly overstocked tanks, but they are still not selling/advertising fish. It is the responsibility of the consumer to know what to put in their tank, with assistance of pet store employees. A person who either doesn't know or doesn't care about stocking limits is going to overstock anyhow, changing the picture on the tank isn't going to change that. Maybe I give too much credit to the human race, but I think most adults are sophisticated enough to know that pictures on a product box are usually not indicative of the product. Even as a child I knew my GI Joe toy tanks etc didn't really shoot missiles, even though the box had artistic renderings of the toys doing just that.

Anyhow, a likely reason for these pictures is to generate excitement for the product, not to be indicative of what you should do with it. A 1 gallon tank with a picture of a properly stocked 1 gallon tank on the box will not likely generate excitement. The pictures are generally so small that you would not see the inhabitant(s) of the tank.

People need to excute a degree of common sense. Also I think people need to stop looking for the elusive "someone else to blame". Just because a box has a picture of something doesn't mean one should do that. I for one doubt that a picture on a box makes people overstock their tank. The "need" for a vibrant, full tank, bad advise or general ignorance, make people overstock. People buy "plane-jane" fish tanks without pictures and overstock them all the time. You can't blame the box for this. The only people at fault are the people who overstock. They need to take the time to educate themselves on proper fish care.

\Dan

Most reactions

Back