Exchanging Tanks

piranha_tim

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Exchanging Tanks

Hi,

So basically I have a 30 Gallon Tank (previous owner) with 1 piranha in it.

I have owned him for 7 days. and the owner didn't keep any water or the filter moist from the original setup. (Not my idea trust me) Meaning I am cycling the tank with the fish in it (Not my idea either)

1 Original Topfin 30 filter (previous setup)
1 *NEW* Aqua Clear 30 (3 stage) filter. (Been in 3 days)

Tonight I am planning on buying him a 75 Gallon Tank. Plus a BioWheel filter for an 80 Gallon Tank and bringing over the 2 other filters (previously mentioned) for over-filtration.

I also plan to bring over his water and use conditioned tap water to fill the rest.

Is there any concerns with this?
Anything anyone thinks I should know before I continue?

1. Question is there is no harm in putting in new gravel?

There is no harm in putting in new gravel. I don't really like the penguin filters though as their bio wheels tend to stop spinning at times and they use filter cartridges (not much customization possible). I would recommend 2 ac 70s if he will be the only fish in the tank and 2 ac 110s if you will have a shoal of 3 or 4 fish (assuming you only want hobs, if you want canisters, that opens up a myriad of options).

Ryan

There is no harm in putting in new gravel. I don't really like the penguin filters though as their bio wheels tend to stop spinning at times and they use filter cartridges (not much customization possible). I would recommend 2 ac 70s if he will be the only fish in the tank and 2 ac 110s if you will have a shoal of 3 or 4 fish (assuming you only want hobs, if you want canisters, that opens up a myriad of options).

Ryan

I am going to be honest ... I want whatever will suit him best.

I am familuar to the AquaClear range and I thought it was the best option for the fish ... Good cleaning properties and good bacteria preserving properties.

I would love to hear more options I wont be able to get the tank until tomorrow now it seems .. so that gives me time for further options.

Also to note I do not have any other water aggitation other then the Topfin 30 and the AquaClear 30 If canisters can do this as well I would love to hear about it.

Else let me know if I need futher products for this.

PLUS to note the fish has been cycling for a week so it would probably be really beneficial for the short term to also run the two I have.

for example ... 1 x 110 Aqua Clear + (Aqua Clear 30 + TopFin 30) for say a month to get the bacterial benefit and then buy another 110 Aqua Clear

Something like that ... Plus I have always been told 2 filters are a good idea. BUT tell me more about canister

Well, if you went for canisters, you get much greater bio filtration capacity (in comparison to an hob), but a lesser flow rate (not so good mech filtration) and more difficult cleaning. Since they don't use cartridges, you can customize them more and only change some of the media at once (which is the point of having 2 hobs, so you can change some of the media). Eheim imo makes some of the nicest ones. I would not recommend the Fluval 05 series. I tried a fluval 305 once and ended up having the drainage or return tube (I forget which one) off the filter 3 times. I ended up with a draining tank twice and an almost completely drained tank once. I don't know about their fx5 though. I have heard very good things about it though. I have no experience with rena canisters, although I know many who like these. Go online and find some filters you like, then come ask about them here and we will tell you if they will suit you and your tank well.

Ryan

(not so good mech filtration)

So is that a bad thing then for piranhas being such messy eaters? (although I only give my piranha peices he can eat so really so far he hasn't been messy at all)

but a lesser flow rate

Would I be looking to get a water aggitator? As Piranhas like High Oxygen? I am also trying to keep his oxygen levels atleast consistant to what he has now if I can't acheive better.

Go online and find some filters you like, then come ask about them

Would love to but I have only experience with Topfin 30 (as the tank came with one) and Aqua Clear has always been my preference but to be honest I have always just stuck with what I know. Maybe its time to think outside the HOB.

You know what would be awsome is to hear about some peoples success stories and recommendations when dealing with 75+ Gallon tanks. regarding filters.

I have an Eheim 2213 on my 29g piranha tnak which only filters something like 116 gph. The tank is fine, I just have to vacuum the substrate every week or so (the tank is planted though and most of the stuff vacuumed is plant stuff).

Piranhas ime don't need super high levels of oxygen. Your species comes from mostly stagnant pools with not much oxygen in the water. I keep my sanchezi in a planted tank with basically no surface agitation (to prevent co2 from escaping) and he is fine.

I'd say take a look at the Eheim and Rena lines. My personal favorite when it comes to filters is eheim. For you I would look at their 22 line as they are cheap and very good filters.

Ryan

How come you have a Piranha in a 29G?

and

I guess the canister filter is the idea of a round container where water is drawn in at the top and forced through different types of optional media and pushed out the bottom or something to that effect?

Do you prefer them over HOB?

Because I have a Serrasalmus sanchezi, a solitary species that only grows to 6-7" or so. He is currently around 4". You have a red belly, Pygocentrus nattereri, an entirely different species that grows larger, 8-10" although usually toward the lower end of that spectrum.

Ryan

and

I guess the canister filter is the idea of a round container where water is drawn in at the top and forced through different types of optional media and pushed out the bottom or something to that effect?

Yes, except in most they are drawn in through the top and pushed out the top. In the eheim 2213, 15, and 17, the water is pushed out through the top and pulled in through the bottom.

It depends on the purpose. In medium sized tanks with a large bio load, yes, I do prefer them. In small tanks I prefer hobs unless they have very messy very predatory fish (possible exception, Chaca chaca in a 15g). In large tanks (150+) I usually would want a wet dry.

Ryan

and

Yes, except in most they are drawn in through the top and pushed out the top. In the eheim 2213, 15, and 17, the water is pushed out through the top and pulled in through the bottom.

It depends on the purpose. In medium sized tanks with a large bio load, yes, I do prefer them. In small tanks I prefer hobs unless they have very messy very predatory fish (possible exception, Chaca chaca in a 15g). In large tanks (150+) I usually would want a wet dry.

Ryan

Do Canisters cause alot of water aggregation?

i.e. if I went canister only would I have to get something else for water aggregation?

It depends on how you set the spray bar. If you put it in the water than it won't disturb the surface. If placed above, then it will disturb it. You will not need anything else for surface agitation if you get a canister. As I said before, your piranha comes from water where there is very little oxygen in it. You will not NEED surface agitation.

Ryan

Most reactions

Back