Eheim 2213 Low Flow Issues

stevewood

Reaction score
My Eheim Classic 2213+ filter seems to be very low on flow at the moment, when I first had it it used to blast out of the outlet resulting in further holes being drilled in the tube to reduce the pressure.

However since I moved the filter and tank to its new stand (filter below tank in cabinet) and added some 90 degree bends to the outflow tube (using eheim parts) to reduce kinks etc the flow seems to have died - it ranges from 150 lph to 90 lph (when cleaning is required). IIRC the filter should be around the 340-390 lph mark.

I believe I am priming it correctly -

Lock off taps (and empty outflow pipe)
Remove filter and clean media basket, clean spindle and impeller
Reconnect filter
Allow filter to fill
Lock off outflow tap
Connect outflow
Switch on and open outflow tap
VOILA - although it takes a while to quieten and the flow is poor

If the above process is wrong please say so, but this is the way I did it beforehand (when filter used to work properly)

Any ideas, because i'm lost

Steve

This thread echos a problem I had with my 2217 classic. I ditched my sheperds crook (bend and straight piece...see pic) in favour of 90' bends and Eheim flexipipe on the intake side. I was getting the same result, the filter was not filling properly. and looked like it was struggling somewhat. I even went as far as dis-assembling the impellier unit and replacing with a new impellier , ceramic shaft and rubber bushes. all to no avail. Then I decided to reinstall the crook piece (dont ask me why) and after I'd done this lo and behold the bloomin filter was running as normal. I'm not saying this will help in your case but it does seem a carbon copy of what was happening to mine. I know your bends are on the outflow, just try the thing with out any additional pipework and see what the rates are, If that doesn't help then I would replace the Impellier, ceramic shaft and rubber bushes. Incidentally if the rubber bushes at either end of the ceramic shaft are worn then that will have the same effect as you are experiencing.
7272210_small.jpg

Using double taps on both inlet and outlet sides....I close the taps and then lift out the filter canister. To open the filter I have to open the valve on the outlet side to release the pressure to be able to remove the pump head. Clean everything including the impellier (check to see everything is in place and not broken or wore) Replace the pump head....place canister back in cupboard, connect the taps and open, wait a second or two to let water fill and then switch on.
I hope this was of some use to you... and solves your problem
Regards
BigC

Thankyou BigC

I shall get hold of some more Eheim Tubing and remove the 90 degree bends - it seems they will go down as 'a good idea at the time' :blush:

Steve :good:

Another frequently overlooked issue is crud in the hoses. I clean my hoses 2-3 times a year. Tie a nail to some string and pull it through the hose with an algæ magnet. When all the way through, tie a suitably sized rag to the end and pull it back through the hose, repeat a few times. It really does make a difference if that is the problem...

im currently having the same problem with my 2213, even after stripping and cleaning everything apart from the actual filter media and hoses the flow is still rubbish..... my pipes do look pretty rank though but its only been running for 2 months approx, not sure what the actual flow from it is at the moment i will have to work it out

you should have double taps on the filter if you do blow the pipes that should clear any blockage

if that doesnt work chances are you have the media packed to tight

Right, problem solved.

Bought myself some more hose and at the same time got Installation Set 1 & 2 from my local-sih fish shop (wharf aquatics).

The flow is now up to full turnover, largely due to the hoses now being straight. Must just say that the Installation Sets really do
make things much neater round the back of the tank.

Just need to sort out the priming issue now, i'm doing it right but for some reason the filter ends up with air in and takes about half an hour to
clear its throat so-to-speak!!

Cheers for your help/suggestion BigC

easiest way to prime the cansiter is to turn off the filter and shut off the inlet tap, remove the pump head so you have just the canister and filter basket, open the inlet tap and wait untill the water level has reached above the top of the basket and shut off the inlet, leave it a few minutes untill all the air is released from the filter basket (move it around a bit to remove any air bubbles). replace the pump head and open the outlet valve and aim towards a bucket, open the inlet valve and when the water is flowing through the outlet fitting turn the pump on and move the whole canster assembly around to get rid of any air blocks. once no more air comes from the outlet turn the pump off, shut the inlt valve and outlet valve at the same time, reconect the outlet hose to the filter spray bar and open the inlet valve.

you are now ready to go, at the same time open the outlet valve and turn the pump on. the filter should be fully primed now with no air locks. i tend to move the canister around for a bit longer to ensure there is no air left inside.

just a suggestion but do you have any air pumps in the tank? i had a problem with my 2213 priming and eventually realised that air from the air pump/stone was rising and entering the filter inlet causing air blocks to form and the pump to stop :blush:

Ive had instalation set 1&2 from day one, was never really impressed with the flow, just think its generally a weak filter :) i should really clean my hoses though, there pritty nasty, just dam awkward to clean without taking everything apart (and risking the loss of media bacteria).

just a suggestion but do you have any air pumps in the tank? i had a problem with my 2213 priming and eventually realised that air from the air pump/stone was rising and entering the filter inlet causing air blocks to form and the pump to stop :blush:

I do have an airstone, but it's away from the inlet.

Do you drain the outlet (pressure) hose before priming or leave it full? Or does it not matter which?

I do have an airstone, but it's away from the inlet.

Do you drain the outlet (pressure) hose before priming or leave it full? Or does it not matter which?

shouldnt be a problem if the airstones out the way then.
id drain the outlet, its easier to see when you prime it then as youl see the water level riseing up the filter outlet pipe :good:

Most reactions

Back