Dropsy

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Kelso

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
One of my mail guppies has dropsy (i'm pretty sure), is there anything i can do for him? and any possible diagnoses as to how he got it? Water parameters are normal (amm 0, ite 0, 20 ate, 7.2 pH). I;ve had the guppy for about 6 months now so i'm quite suprised as to how long he has survived since he was a "no quarantee" fish and him and his brothers were used to cycle both my tanks. He does show signs of dropsy, pine cone like scales, extremely fat. So whats up? See picture below.

DSC00984.jpg

DSC00982.jpg

DSC00980.jpg

DSC00979.jpg

Once a fish shows the last stage of dropsy the pinecombing that it the fish will die, the only chance with dropsy is catching this desease early, I sad to say this, if you can issolate the fish that would be great.

How long do you think he'll last? He's still eating normal and chasing the other guppies. I don't have anywhere to isolate the poor guy but my danios arn't bothering him so sad to say hopefully he'll just pass on soon. :sad:

EDIT: He's been at this stage for about 3-4 days now.

Or bless him, you could try anti internal bacteria med, antibiotics I would recommend you issolate with antibiotics as it wipes the bacteria colony out, good luck but don't be surprised if he dosn't make it.

How long til my guppy passes on? Will it be once he eats so much he explodes? Just curious...since i have no place to isolate him, it would be nice to know how long roughly he has to live.

Is he laying on the bottom on his side, or at the top of the tank.

He's still swimming and eating normally. So he swims at the top/middle/bottom, and kinda swims with the other guppies a bit, but he has become kind of a loner since getting the dropsy.

It could be a while then you might notice some red streaks on the fish as sometimes they get a second infection seticemia.

It's hard to tell with fish sometimes.

Most reactions

Back