Dragonfish constipated

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Synirr

"No one is a failure unless you try"
Reaction score
Yesterday morning when I checked on my dragonfish/violet goby, his tummy was abnormally swelled. I skipped feeding him yesterday and today in hopes that he'd get better, but no... his tummy has stayed the same, and it is definitely not normal. He's still active as ever, but doesn't seem to want to eat anything (and who could blame him?) Is there anything I can do to help him, or should I just wait another day and see if this passes on its own?
Edit: Just did a 40% water change because I didn't know what else to do, lol.

Not sure it would work in your case, but for discus you can use 1 or 2 teaspoons epsom salt per 10 gallons.

elgecko said:
Not sure it would work in your case, but for discus you can use 1 or 2 teaspoons epsom salt per 10 gallons.
I thought of that, but he's a scaleless fish, so I don't think it would be wise to use salt on him. Maybe I could try to feed him a pea? That seems to work with bettas... :/

what do you feed him? They don't do well on flakes and pellets, best thing is frozen bloodworm, daphnea etc. They don't eat veggies, so I doubt that they would eat the peas.

The salt will be fine with your dragon goby, it is highly probably that your fish is Gobioides broussonnetii which is actually a brackish fish and should be in a heavily salted tank anyway. Even the freshwater dragon goby Gobioides peranus which is much less common in the hobby is also found in brackish enviroments so whichever fish it is salt would be harmless. Does your fish have dark vertical band markings on its side?

Dragon gobies are filter feeders and easily become constipated if fed on normal tropical fish fare of pellets and flakes. Try to feed some live daphnia or bloodworm but if you cant get these then frozen will have to do.

CFC said:
The salt will be fine with your dragon goby, it is highly probably that your fish is Gobioides broussonnetii which is actually a brackish fish and should be in a heavily salted tank anyway. Even the freshwater dragon goby Gobioides peranus which is much less common in the hobby is also found in brackish enviroments so whichever fish it is salt would be harmless. Does your fish have dark vertical band markings on its side?

Dragon gobies are filter feeders and easily become constipated if fed on normal tropical fish fare of pellets and flakes. Try to feed some live daphnia or bloodworm but if you cant get these then frozen will have to do.
You're right, mine is Gobioides broussonetti, and I've been feeding him frozen bloodworms. There's nowhere near where I live that supplies live foods :/
I knew the fish could live in brackish or fresh water, but for some strange reason I didn't remember it when I made the comment about the salt... brain fart, I guess.
I'll try adding some salt to his tank... I guess I'll have to move the corys out for a while, at least.

Gobioides broussonnetii is a true brackish fish which shouldnt be kept in freshwater for long periods of time, your fishes constipation problems most probably stem from being kept in the wrong enviroment.

CFC said:
Gobioides broussonnetii is a true brackish fish which shouldnt be kept in freshwater for long periods of time, your fishes constipation problems most probably stem from being kept in the wrong enviroment.
Yeah, I found out that he was brackish the day after I bought him. I was going to make a brackish tank for him, but I went to the LFS I purchased him at, and they told me that their supplier keeps them in fresh water too... So I figured it would be alright.
I had had that fish over two years, and he just died last night. I put him in brackish for a couple of days hoping it would help, but it looks like his stomach ruptured internally :byebye:
I examined his body to see if I could find what went wrong... and I discovered a fairly large undigested snail shell. Looks like he gulped down a snail (by mistake?) Could that have been the problem, or would you normally expect him to pass something like that?

It's highly likely it was the snail. As you probably know, dragon gobies are filter feeders and not used to taking in large pieces of food.

I'm so sorry to hear that he didn't make it. :(

LadyMinion said:
It's highly likely it was the snail. As you probably know, dragon gobies are filter feeders and not used to taking in large pieces of food.

Yeah, that's what I figured happened. I guess I should be more cautious about having snails with that type of fish in the future... sorta a freak accident -_-

Synirr said:
LadyMinion said:

Yeah, that's what I figured happened. I guess I should be more cautious about having snails with that type of fish in the future... sorta a freak accident -_-
You weren't to know he would swallow something like that. I've seen my dragons carrying plec tablets around in their mouth, but never close to swallowing one.

Just one of those unfortunate things that happen in life.

Most reactions

Back