Does Prime Have A Negative Effect On Bacteria

CluelessAboutFish

Reaction score
I read on Marineland's Bio-Spira site that although they recommend using their Bio-Safe product for a new aquarium, but they do not recommend using it continously with water changes because it could interfere with the beneficial bacteria of the biological filtration. Since Bio-Safe and Prime both detoxify ammonia, I am assuming that they would say the same of Prime. When I do a water change, I planned to add Prime directly to the tank with a dosage for the entire tank (30 gallons). This is as prescribed by Prime. I use Prime because my tap water has trace ammounts of ammonia (.5 ppm).

Does the ammount of ammonia in my tap water merit a water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia? Will using Prime really harm my biological filtration? I don't want to premix water in a bucket. I want to be able to use a Python.

I've been using Prime for years, it doesn't harm your bio filtration. You should be fine using your python, I use a garden hose. You not only have to worry about the ammonia in your tap water, you also have the ammonia created when chloramine is split into its components, chlorine & ammonia.

I have used Prime with no noticable ill effects. It is cheap. :D On the other hand the bacteria do live on ammonia. The bacteria load is greatly dependent on the ammonia available. I have had well experienced aquariasts tell me that they do not use ammonia removing conditioners regularly as the bacteria need a constant supply of it. I myself can not answer with wisdom and fact. But I do keep it in mind, when using an additive and just try to use my best judgement of the situation, If your tank is not testing for ammonia, then I can see no reason to try to remove it.

I think heavily stocked tanks (such as Malawi Cichlid Reef tanks), may need more help. A lightly stocked tank (a Betta in a planted 10 usg) would not need it. Just some reasoned considerations.

Most reactions

Back