Does Anyone Keep a "Dump Tank"?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

10 Tanks

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hello TFF. Does anyone keep a tank that's strictly for dumping stuff that's cleaned out of your pretty tanks? Kind of like a storage room for things you can't really use, but something you don't want to throw away. It's like a storage unit for things that you don't want in your house, but something that might be of some use at another time. Well, I have a 55 gallon tank that's been accumulating fish, plants, rocks and decorations that I want to keep, but doesn't work in any of the main tanks. Obviously, the fish stay. But also other tank stuff that doesn't fit in anymore. Here's a picture of the "Dump Tank".

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Attachments

• IMG_4039.jpg
    IMG_4039.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 59
Hello TTF. Does anyone keep a tank that's strictly for dumping stuff that's cleaned out of your pretty tanks? Kind of like a storage room for things you can't really use, but something you don't want to throw away. It's like a storage unit for things that you don't want in your house, but something that might be of some use at another time. Well, I have a 55 gallon tank that's been accumulating fish, plants, rocks and decorations that I want to keep, but doesn't work in any of the main tanks. Obviously, the fish stay. But also other tank stuff that doesn't fit in anymore. Here's a picture of the "Dump Tank".

10 Tanks (Now 11)
Your fish in the main tanks talking to the fish in the "dump tanks":
"HA! Always knew you were trash!"

No but that's actually a REALLY good idea! I've thought of doing something similar when I have a fish room of my own... I don't have space for it now lol. Or the permission from my parents

I have a 40 gallon community that gets fish I can't make pairs of our from uneven sex ratio breeding results, or fish I've bought pairs of and lost one partner of. I think of it more as a spare parts tank, as I have saved a few species here with fish that were once extras. Sometimes with killies, you can get all male growouts, followed a few months later by all female ones, and if you keep them around, you can save the line while you figure out what's not working right.

A dump. I can't keep those tire fires burning underwater.

I have a 40 gallon community that gets fish I can't make pairs of our from uneven sex ratio breeding results, or fish I've bought pairs of and lost one partner of. I think of it more as a spare parts tank, as I have saved a few species here with fish that were once extras. Sometimes with killies, you can get all male growouts, followed a few months later by all female ones, and if you keep them around, you can save the line while you figure out what's not working right.

A dump. I can't keep those tire fires burning underwater.
Hello Gary. I like the term "Spare Parts" instead of "Dump Tank". The tank really does look a little like an aquarium dump. it just has a lot of everything and nothing really fits. This fish don't know the difference anyway. They still get most of their water removed and replaced every week.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Hello TFF. Does anyone keep a tank that's strictly for dumping stuff that's cleaned out of your pretty tanks? Kind of like a storage room for things you can't really use, but something you don't want to throw away. It's like a storage unit for things that you don't want in your house, but something that might be of some use at another time. Well, I have a 55 gallon tank that's been accumulating fish, plants, rocks and decorations that I want to keep, but doesn't work in any of the main tanks. Obviously, the fish stay. But also other tank stuff that doesn't fit in anymore. Here's a picture of the "Dump Tank".

10 Tanks (Now 11)
Wow, even your dump tank doesn’t look too bad! Just like its a little overdue for a trim.

A dump tank ? Never heard of that but it’s a good idea. I have two smaller tanks that I’m going to take down but I hate to wring out and dry the two sponge filters that have been going for a couple years. You have come up with a great idea.

Wow, even your dump tank doesn’t look too bad! Just like its a little overdue for a trim.
Hello Endler. Thanks, I think you're being too generous in your evaluation. But, I appreciate it. You're right. It could use some work. But, that's the reason for the tank. It just gets the large, weekly water change for the benefit of the fish and a little filter work. The rest is left to nature. If I started maintaining everything, then I'd just have another pretty tank with no place to put the plants and other pieces I don't use anymore. The tank is very likely overstocked. 150 fish or so, is a reasonable guess. Guppies, Platies, Danios, Skirts and some other Tetras.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Your fish in the main tanks talking to the fish in the "dump tanks":
"HA! Always knew you were trash!"

No but that's actually a REALLY good idea! I've thought of doing something similar when I have a fish room of my own... I don't have space for it now lol. Or the permission from my parents
Are you a teenager in NC who keeps fish???
(asking for selfish reasons)

Most reactions

Back