Does Anyone Have A Spare Api Gh / Kh Charts?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

StatMan

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I know this may seem an odd request.

My son wanted this test kit for his new tank, tonight he went to get it to test the tap water levels we were putting in to get a base reading, could not find the colour charts.

Now this might sound strange, but he was so excited at getting this test kit he was reading the info in the car on the way home from the shop, anyway I am sure they are some where but we can't find them. If any one has spare (freshwater if it matters) versions of these and could post I would be for ever greatful.

Regards

StatMan

i have just what you need from my api test kit which is now too old to use. i can send you all the cards incase you ever need them. pm me your details

The API GH and KH test kits don't have colour charts do they? Mine expired about six months ago, so I threw everything away and haven't replaced them yet. But I do remember that you added the reagents one drop at a time till the test tube changed colour, then converted the number of drops it took to ppm using a table in the instruction leaflet.

Of course, they may have changed since I had mine!

The API GH and KH test kits don't have colour charts do they? Mine expired about six months ago, so I threw everything away and haven't replaced them yet. But I do remember that you added the reagents one drop at a time till the test tube changed colour, then converted the number of drops it took to ppm using a table in the instruction leaflet.

Of course, they may have changed since I had mine!

You are exactly right.

IIRC, you add one drop at a time, and shake. When the colour changes (say from Yellow to Blue), the number of drops you've added is the number of "Degrees" or hardness.

For reference, my Gh is about 25 - that is extremely hard.

Dad we have a reason why we can't find them :blush:

i have just what you need from my api test kit which is now too old to use. i can send you all the cards incase you ever need them. pm me your details

Crafty - thanks for the offer but it would appear like it is a case of mistaken identity and there is nothing to find. I guess seeing as all the other boxes had cards in it seemed a reasonable chance this one would have also. Appreciated anyway, how old are your test kits they are meant to be good for 3 to 4 years from batch date I believe

EssJay thanks for the explanation, you wouldn't believe the grief I have been getting for "losing them"!! He'll be on later to apologise.

StatMan

PS look like he got there first, couldn't have read the instructions very carefully!

Crafty - thanks for the offer but it would appear like it is a cae of mistaken identity and there is nothing to find. I guess seeing as all the other boxes had cards in it seemed a reasonable chance this one would have also. Appreciated anyway, how lod are your test kits they are meant to be good for 3 to 4 years from batch date I believe

EssJay thanks for the explanation, you wouldn't believe the grief I have been getting for "losing them"!! Hell be on later to apologise

StatMan
im sure theres a chart in a book which you convert it to?

you add one drop at a time, and shake. When the colour changes (say from Yellow to Blue), the number of drops you've added is the number of "Degrees" or hardness.
This is correct. If your they run at "0" as mine do, it is somewhat confusing when you first test as the color goes to the end color from the start. I kept testing over and over thinking I was reading the instruction incorrectly or doing it wrong.

you add one drop at a time, and shake. When the colour changes (say from Yellow to Blue), the number of drops you've added is the number of "Degrees" or hardness.
This is correct. If your they run at "0" as mine do, it is somewhat confusing when you first test as the color goes to the end color from the start. I kept testing over and over thinking I was reading the instruction incorrectly or doing it wrong.

Wow so are you using RO water or some other means to keep there? Though I don;t think we would want that low looking at the reccomended chart in the instructions (Now I have them!!) I guess we should be targetting around 6 as that is the boundary of the two categories of types of fish in the tank.

Now knowing what to do we first tested the tap water which was 22 GH 15 KH on testing one of my tanks which has very stable stats and normally tests 0, 0, 20 for Ammonia, NO2, NO3, measuring the values on this tank it was 15 GH and 6.5 KH. Should we be addressing this?

Inchworm, not sure if this is the right place for this thread to continue, don't know if its best to start a new one or move it and change the title and add the old title as the sub-title

StatMan

Most reactions

Back