DIY Co2 for 55 gallon

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

guppygirl

This picture just won champion in BW flowers!! YAY
Reaction score
First place at State 4-H horse show!! WHOOEE!!
Hi!!
I'm planning on doing DIY CO2 on my 55 gallon planted tank. I've read a couple of articles about it and I sort of wanted some more info. I know I need a 2 liter bottle, airline tubing, yeast, sugar and warm water. I'm not sure how to go about making the yeast solution though. Also, how many bottles do I need for a 55 gallon? Or will one do ok?

Another question is how do I go about dispersing it into my tank? A person at my LFS said it would be ok to put the tube into the bottom of my filter and let it go through the spraybar. I have an Aquaclear powerhead with a quickfilter (filled with bioballs) attached and a 3 foot long spraybar that is underwater.
Thanks!!!
Robin

I run mine threw my hang on back filter. But I have read that it can mess with your biofilter true or not I don't know. Been doing this for a year with no probs. But I do undo it at night when the lights are off. Cause after dark nothing needs the co2. If water is soft this can cause wild PH swings thoe.

it's not worth adding co2 to your tank unless you have very bright lighting to go with it.... The plants need high light levels to utilise the co2 in the water.

Not a good idea to put the co2 into your filter it will rot the rubber seals on your filter

Over 1/2 the people I have spoken with at various places run CO2 through a reactor and into canister filters. Best method from what I understand to dissolve it.

I used 1 2L on my 55 Gallon.

http://www.plantgeek.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3059

That should help you.

As for lighting, before adding CO2 you should have at least 2WPG which would be 110W on a 55G.

Basically you need 3 - 40W bulbs or CF to get to a point to need CO2.

Ok Thanks!
For one thing I don't think light is a problem. I just got my new compact flourescent light, and after calculating WPG, I have about 3.4 WPG!! :D Sorry I didn't say that at first, I forgot. That's what prompted the post! :)
Ok so... Can I use a gallon jug like the plantgeek link said? Or should I use 1 2L? Which one would be better?

I put 1 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon yeast. First I mix the yeast in a litre of lukewarm water, about 78F (my hands are sensitive enough to tell by now from my tank :D ), pour that in, then stirr the sugar in another liter of water, pour it in, top off to about 4 inches from cap and shake, :nod: HTH.

I just finished making a DIY CO2 in my 10 gallon just to see if it would work. It's awesome! I just have a little bit of java moss in it right now but WOW what a difference it makes! I'm planning on planting my new 90 gallon so I thought I would experiment with the DIY CO2 in my 10 first. I got the plans and mixtures from these two links:
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/co2-narten.html
http://www.plantedtank.net/co2.html
Good luck with yours! O ya does anyone know how much CO2 I would need for a 90 Gallon? (1 2L 2 2L's...ect???)

Most reactions

Back