Dechlorination

BigFishSmallPond

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Just wanted to hear how everyone does it. Do you put the dechlorinator in the bucket first, or do u fill the bucket then put it in? Do you stir it or just let it sit? How long do you let it sit before putting it in the tank? Is the dechlorination instant? Just wanted to clarify for myself and others new to the fish keeping scene. Thanks for the info in advance. ;)

-ak

I've always put the dechlorinator into the bucket first and then added the water ( Knowing how much water The bucket holds), then for good measures I give the water a stir before I add to the tank. But thinking about it, it doesn't really matter when you put the dechlorinator into the bucket as long as it has a stir. I could be wrong. :/

personally i add about a third of a cap to every bucketful, whilst filling from the tank. I add some boiled water to temperature match it then add straight to the tank.

Agreed. My only issue with stirring is my fear of cross contamination. But I suppose as long as you use something that definately is clean of chemicals or anything that may leech into the water you should be fine. =]

I count how many litres I've taken out, measure out the dechlorinator accordingly and then add a little to each bucket as I refill the tank. I also add a little hot water to bring the new water up to the right temperature.

I also add dechlorinator as I fill the bucket so that the agitation from the faucet mixes it together. This has worked just fine so far. Occassionally I've also squirted it in at the end, then stirred the water with my hand. Again, no problems so far.

As far as stirring is concerned, you could just use your hand (assuming it's clean) or you could use your fish net. I assume that's only been used in the tank! :) I also keep a long bamboo skewer in my fish "kit". It comes in handy for all sorts of things, and I suppose it would work for stirring the water as well. Of course it was a clean, unused skewer when I started. Pretty much anything plastic would be okay as well, assuming it's new when you start using it and it's only used for the aquarium.

-- Pamela

I use gallon jugs (formerly held drinking water) to fill my tanks. I fill the jug, then add the dechlor, stirring it. I guess I never thought about any kind of contamination although the dechlor is the only thing that touches the measuring spoon and plain water is the only thing that ever goes in the jugs.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back