Daylight Flourescent Bulbs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishSticks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just bought four 48" 32W flourescent ligh bulbs, but I don't know if I bought the right ones? Here's what the packaging says:

Daylight Deluxe T8
  • Light Output = 2,800 Lumens
  • Energy Used = 32 Watts
  • Color Rendering = 85
  • Color Temperature = 6,500K
Can I use these for my 55 Gallon Aquarium?

Don't use full-spectrum terrestrial plant bulbs. Algae loves them, damn it!
Sean
How am I suppose to know if they're terrestial plant bulbs? Ok so now I have 128 Watts of light is that enough yet or should I buy more shop lights? I currently have 128W / 55 gallons = 2.3 Watts per gallon. And at what point will I need to to start adding fertilizer and Co2? Here are the plants:

5 Micro Sword (Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae)
2 Crispus (Aponogeton crispus)
1 Planted Driftwood Java Fern Tree
2 Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides)
3 Anacharis (Egeria densa)
2 Red Rubin (Echinodorus rubin)

Where did you buy them? They should say reptilian, so I wouldn't worry. In fact, 6500K is hard for me to find!! It really good though for planted tanks.
EDIT:
In reply to your other question, Your wattage is exactly what I have. You will need to add Co2, and watch out for algae blooms. I have just gotten over a brown algae bloom, because lotsa light and lotsa phosphate= LOTSA algae!
Nutrients will need to be added, but don't overdose. I would reccommend adding Co2 first though.
HTH!
Robin

Firstly Daylight Deluxe T8 is what I would recomend.. even for the more hard to keep plant.. You shouldnt have a problem with your plants, I think your now 100% with light, you might want to look at CO2 and fertilizers, but you dont have to much lights so you should get to a big algae bloom, and should clear in a week or two.. I also have Water Sprite you'll have lots more in a month or two.

Your lighting sounds ideal. Over 2 WPG and you should use CO2 right away and plant with lots of fast growers, more than you already have to avoid algae problems. Only use fertilisers once the plants are well established and you see nutrient deficiency signs, liquid ferts. are commonly over used leading to more problems than solutions.

Wow thanks, I was actually trying to get ok lighting and I ended up with ideal! :p I will try to add Co2 as soon as I save up around $400 for this ideal Co2 System. I'm really scared to try DIY Co2 in my aquariums. I feel like my PH will go crazy stressing or even killing all my fish, since I won't have time to constantly be checking PH. :crazy:

Also... About adding more plants, I feel like if I add more plants they are going to start to compete against each other! :huh: I rather have a couple real nice and healthy looking plants than have a tank full of mediocre plants. :D Just my opinion, maybe I'm just crazy!

FishSticks said:
Wow thanks, I was actually trying to get ok lighting and I ended up with ideal! :p I will try to add Co2 as soon as I save up around $400 for this ideal Co2 System. I'm really scared to try DIY Co2 in my aquariums. I feel like my PH will go crazy stressing or even killing all my fish, since I won't have time to constantly be checking PH. :crazy:

Also... About adding more plants, I feel like if I add more plants they are going to start to compete against each other! :huh: I rather have a couple real nice and healthy looking plants than have a tank full of mediocre plants. :D Just my opinion, maybe I'm just crazy!
A pressurized CO2 system is definitely the way to go for a 55 Gallon although DIY is very safe IMO, it's unlikely you'll generate enough CO2 to cause any problems using the yeast/sugar method especially in a tank of your size.

About planting; I understand your point about quality over quantity but you will need lots of nutrient uptake to prevent algae with your lighting, floating plants may be ideal if your worried about your aquascaping. On the competing plants; it's unlikely to cause a problem if you stick to less demanding plants, I have 15 different species growing sucessfully together with no problems. Any Alleochemicals produced are diluted out with frequent water changes.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back