Cycling with test strips

Quin

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm doing a fish-in cycle assisted by tetra safestart and my betta Hank. Unfortunately I don't have the API test kit like I want, but I do have strips (which I've been told a lot that are unreliable). My ammonia levels are between 0 and .25, which is lower than before I added the ammonia, but my nitrate and nitrite still read at either zero or the next step up, which is very close in color. Is this what I should be seeing, and if not how can I help this along? I assumed my tank would have the presence of nitrate and nitrite before it was cycled, unless those bacteria just haven't kicked in yet

For a fish-in cycle you don't add amonia. The fish produces/ excretes ammonia so the cycle can establish but it has to be carefully managed as ammonia is toxic to fish. Do a water change if ammonia or nitrite go above zero. Remember to dechlorinate the new water.

I'm doing a fish-in cycle assisted by tetra safestart and my betta Hank. Unfortunately I don't have the API test kit like I want, but I do have strips (which I've been told a lot that are unreliable). My ammonia levels are between 0 and .25, which is lower than before I added the ammonia, but my nitrate and nitrite still read at either zero or the next step up, which is very close in color. Is this what I should be seeing, and if not how can I help this along? I assumed my tank would have the presence of nitrate and nitrite before it was cycled, unless those bacteria just haven't kicked in yet

@Quin, when carrying out a fish-in-tank cycle, the fish is the source of ammonia - you don't add any.

Using test strips is better than not testing at all, but they are notoriously inaccurate.

How is Hank doing?

@Quin, when carrying out a fish-in-tank cycle, the fish is the source of ammonia - you don't add any.

Using test strips is better than not testing at all, but they are notoriously inaccurate.

How is Hank doing?
I know there probably aren't too many ways I can mess this up, but it still baffles me that cycling the tank just means waiting on the bacteria. I keep thinking there's something I have to do to help it along.

Hank is doing really good! He's active all day, he is incredibly curious of everything happening and always wants to come see me, and he doesn't bark too much either :rofl:

I will admit his personality has really grown on me. Any time I come by the tank, from any angle, he'll stop what he's doing and come say hello. I'm supposed to be fasting him but he's just so darn cute I broke and gave him breakfast today plus a pellet a little bit later. He's definitely not bloated anymore though so I think he'll be okay to have one meal a day with a fast day once a week.

I just remembered I've been meaning to ask, how to I stop his tank water from evaporating so fast? I usually don't fill it to the tippy top anyways but every few days I have to move his heater down to make sure the water line isn't too low. It wasnt much of a problem before, but since every advice on TSS advises against water changes unless it's an emergency, I'm worried about adding water. If I dechlorinate water 24 hours in advance like usual will it be fine, or should I wait it out?

I just remembered I've been meaning to ask, how to I stop his tank water from evaporating so fast? I usually don't fill it to the tippy top anyways but every few days I have to move his heater down to make sure the water line isn't too low. It wasnt much of a problem before, but since every advice on TSS advises against water changes unless it's an emergency, I'm worried about adding water. If I dechlorinate water 24 hours in advance like usual will it be fine, or should I wait it out?
Adding the water is fine. I do top ups all the time. A lit will help it dot evaporate as soon, but I know you dont really want a lid :)

What dechlorinator do you use? I put mine in right before adding it to the tank, I dont think it needs to sit for 24hrs

Adding the water is fine. I do top ups all the time. A lit will help it dot evaporate as soon, but I know you dont really want a lid :)

What dechlorinator do you use? I put mine in right before adding it to the tank, I dont think it needs to sit for 24hrs
I use seachem prime

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back