cycling second tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

claireroe

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi , i'm going to start up my secnd tank this evening and i have taken a liken to tiger barbs . Its a three foot tank and was planning 6-12 . Could i cycle a tank with 6 tiger barbs ? are they hardy enough ?

I think Tiger Barbs are sensitive to water conditions. When I had high nitrates I lost a bunch of Tiger Barbs. I would cycle with Danios. They're very hardy. I still have mine from when I cycled my tank about 6 months ago.

I highly recommend running the new filter on the old tank for a week or two. This will seed it with bacteria so that your fish don't have to go through the cycle. Once you have a tank established it's generally not necessary to go through the cycle again.

As far as hardiness of these fish go, they are generally hardy fish, but because of popular demand the breeding has become unselective, and bad strains are all too common, making them more susceptable to problems.

also maybe transefr some of the gravel form the old tnak into the new again seeding the tank with bactria

before i finally took back my 46 gallon from my parents this year they had taken care of it for my first 3 years of college...sad to say they took as good of care of it as they knew how, but only 4 fish remained by the time i got back to it - 3 tiger barbs (1 regular, 2 albino) and my common pleco....those barbs have to be well over 4 or 5 years old now and survived absolutely horrible conditions (my parents changed water once a month max) - and through my fishkeeping learning mishaps as a kid too....i don't know if it is the strain i have, but these tiger barbs are EXTREMELY hardy from my personal experiences...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back