Cycling 1-gallon jar

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

What will you be using it for, old gravel from a tank, and abit of muture filter sponge from a tank filter.

I'll probably have a male betta and 2-4 ghost shrimp to clean the substrate. I could use gravel from my main tank...

What do you think?

Sould be fine if there is no desease in that tank, how big are the ghost strimp, as that might be pushing it at 4.

can you get a pic of your 1gallon jar i wouldnt mins a betta in somthing like that to go on my computer desk.

Actually, I don't have it set up yet! Sorry. It'll probably be about 2 weeks. I was basically just asking for future reference.

o ok! :D
what jar is it?
is it for bettas or was there some kind of food in it?

If it has a flat side or you can use a similiar size container with a flat side you can get a HOB filter like the azoo palm filter or the nano filter by red sea, and set up a cool little filtered system.

Check out the AZOO PALM FILTER at www.drsfostersmith.com for $ 6.49. The nano filter almost identical.

have you guys tried these filters? How well do they work? I might buy one...

Oh, and the conrtainer I dont have yet but check out the 2 gallon on this page. This really impressed me, and is a fasinating read:

planted nano tank

I hope to set up something similar, and it does have flat sides for a filter.

anyone have any idea where I could get a container like the 2gallon one in that article (I'm in the United States)?

Check out the large container if you look closely it has a red sea nano filter on it.

I have the red sea nano filter and use it on a 1 1/2 gallon container . This container is tupperware. I use this for bristlenose pleco fry. These filters are adjusable (flow) have a poly pad and a carbon impregnated foam pad. Works rather well. What I like about it the most is you can replace filter pads with cut to fit media by HBH or Marineland, your not stuck buying the pre made nano filter pads, and don't have to worry about media being hard to find in future. I have also retro fitted mine with 1/2 inch thin wall tubing to extend intake tube with a piece of foam from a aquaclear cut to fit on the end, works as prefilter but really to keep small fry out of filter.

The nano is recommended for up to a 3 gallon at 15 GPH and the AZOO filter rated to 5 gallons at 16 GPH. I question the 2 gallon difference at 1 GPH difference. Maybe one company being a little more honest? Otherwise filter are pretty much identical except intakes on oposite sides and flow control located different . Probably patents pending, so they make appearence a little different.

swampcat said:
If it has a flat side or you can use a similiar size container with a flat side you can get a HOB filter like the azoo palm filter or the nano filter by red sea, and set up a cool little filtered system.

Check out the AZOO PALM FILTER at www.drsfostersmith.com for $ 6.49. The nano filter almost identical.
Hi there,

New here - trying to learn all I can. I have a 1.7 gallon tank that came with a filter (an "elite mini internal filter" by Hagen), but it has too much current for a betta. Do you know if these would be more appropriate?

Thanks!

Cynthia

These filters will take up no room inside your tank other than intake tube, there's one plus. These filters are rated at 15 gallons per hour at full rate. They are fully adjustable though. They have a valve in the intake tube similiar to one used for an air pump gang valve. This gives you quite a bit of control. I use mine in a 1 1/2 gallon tubberware container that I am presently using for bristlenose pleco fry, and is working quite well. I would believe if it does not effect fry adversly, it would also be benificial for your betta.

When you compare prices they are quite inexspensive. I was first going to purchase a simple sponge filter or a livingworld airdriven filter. These actually cost more??? Much more. I had remembered seeing them set up at local store for betta tanks actually, and purchased one for my homemade fry tank. I paid $10 for the red sea nano filter at my local fish shop. The AZOO palm filter is $6.49 plus shipping at www.drsfostersmith.com. My store was actaully cheaper when you add shipping at web page or catolgue. Look around in fish stores in your area see if you like, its always good to see one up close before you buy something, to see if it fits your personal liking. They will probably kill you on shipping costs to canada.

swampcat said:
I use mine in a 1 1/2 gallon tubberware container that I am presently using for bristlenose pleco fry, and is working quite well. I would believe if it does not effect fry adversly, it would also be benificial for your betta.
Thanks swampcat.

I am off to a lps today to see what they have in stock :)

Cynthia

Most reactions

Back