Curiosity killed the cat...fish

bdktty67

Reaction score
I have a Synodontis nyassae and lately, he has come out of hiding. I have had him for months, but the last 2 months, he doesn't hide anymore. It's nice, and he swims upside down! Is that whatthey do? I know I should have researched it before buying it, but I am also a cat lover and his cheetah fur look was more than I could stand, and I had to have him. I just wonder why he changed from an introvert to an extrovert.

Also, I can't seem to keep my pleco's alive anymore. I have had 3 die on me within two years. The last one I never did find too. I have 3 catfish, and I am suspecting one of them or all of them may be bigger because they ate him. What's that about. The synodontis had a big bulge on his left side (like where his cheeck would be if he had them). I was real concerned and it was there for months. But it seems to be almost gone away. Could it have been a war wound? Could these night creatures be duking it out while I sleep? Did he come out of a fight being the alpha-male and that is why he is more visible?

Someone please help me understand this magnificent fish.

Thank you for your time :fun:

i am by no means an expert on catfish but the synodontis species are members of the Mockokidae family which are also commonly called the upside down catfish. Hence your catfish may swim upside down depending on its mood. Some species are more renowned for this then others but all Mockokidae can swim upside down.

Did you want to know why they are able to swim so effectively upside down or just if they do it?

I dont know about the bulge i suppose it could be a war wound.
From a site some where.

The genus name Synodontis is derived from the Greek words syn meaning together and odont meaning tooth - they have fused teeth.
The species name nyassae (or njassae) is derived from the original name for Lake Malawi - Lake Nyasa or Nyassa (the native Yao word for lake).
Lake Malawi is still called Lake Nyasa by Tanzanians.

Synodontis nyassae can live up to six years.
Because of their bony head and strong, serrated fin spines, Synodontis nyassae is not an important food fish. They are, however, eaten when they are available and they are considered a delicacy. Some fishermen will actually bite off the spines to make the fish safe to handle.
They are known to the indigenous fishermen as Kolokolo (meaning small fish with poisonous fins) or Njekayeka and to Europeans as Squeakers - the generic name for all Naked Catfish of the Family Mockokidae).
The strong, sharp and serrated spines at the front of the dorsal fin and each pectoral fin can be locked at right angles to the body. The mucus covering these spines is apparently poisonous and they inflict a painful injury.

wow that was an interesting read!! top info there.

You might be losing plecs for no fault by yourself. Alot of plecs are wild caught and may carry parasites in there belly, they can livefor a while like this but they will eventually die.

I recently bought a sailfin plec that had been in the store for months, i bought it and it died in 3days, when i found it there was a gapping hole in it's head, my LFS replaced it for me. After posting on here i had suggestions that it probable had parasites.

Most reactions

Back