Crypt melt

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

MattW3344

fishy wishy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi all I have a Cryptocoryne undulatus that has been in my tank for around 4 months and has submerged growth. I got 3 new Cryptocoryne Wendtii last week that have emersed growth that has now melted. But my submerged undulatus has now melted also. Is there some sort of chemical the plants release to cause other crypts to melt? Or has something else caused this?

IMG.jpg

This is an older pic. The Cryptocoryne Undulatus is in the closest terracotta pot on the left and the three new crypts are in plastic pots with Rockwool on right

Crypts tend to throw a hissy fit and melt anytime their conditions (mainly water parameters) change. They don't like salt either. Really, they'd do so much better planted

Crypts tend to throw a hissy fit and melt anytime their conditions (mainly water parameters) change. They don't like salt either. Really, they'd do so much better planted
I just found it strange. I've left this tank before without a water change for just under a month and had no issues. But as soon as I got the Wendtii in for a future scape which is probably a month or two away the established crpyt that is in aqua soil melts.

Has the tank increased in temperature? I’ve found that when the tank goes up in temperature even established crypts will melt.

Has the tank increased in temperature? I’ve found that when the tank goes up in temperature even established crypts will melt.
Not really I keep it between 20-22c. The melting strangely occurred when I put the new crypts in the tank. Perhaps me adding them changed the water parameters then

Most reactions

Back