Could I add amano shrimp now?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

mrsjoannh13

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am cycling my first planted tank. It's a 20 gallon currently fishless with 3 amazon swords, 2 scarlet temples, 7 java ferns, 4 anubias nanas and a smattering of nana petites. So it's pretty heavily planted. I am dosing with Easy Green fertilizer and have some of the Easy Root Tabs around the stem plants. Week 1 I changed 50% water daily. Week 2, I changed 50% every other day. This week I am going to change about 50% 2 or 3 times. After that I'll be doing weekly changes.

I planted the tank on January 16th. I have seen anywhere from 0 - .25 ammonia, currently holding at 0. No idea where the ammonia came from as I'm not dosing any. Maybe from a couple of rotting leaves? Nitrates have been holding steady at 5, I'm assuming primarily from the fertilizer. Nitrites started at 0, rose to .5 then 1 then possibly a 2, then back down to .5 and as of today suddenly reading 0 nitrites.

I have seen very small amounts of algae on a couple of leaves - 1 leaf on a sword plant and 2 leaves on the scarlet temple plants. It came off easily with a light rub during the water change process. I am going out of town in a couple of weeks for 12 days and won't be able to do any maintenance to the tank. I really don't want to come home to an explosion of algae. So far I think the lighting and fertilizer levels are working well, but I'm leery of what could happen while I'm on vacation.

I was thinking of getting a couple of amano shrimp to help tidy up any small bits of algae while I'm gone. Is the tank possibly ready for amano shrimp at this stage given my readings? I do also have some established filter media I could add when adding the shrimp.
Would the shrimp have enough to feed on over the 12 days?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think you should be ok to add some shrimp. Double check the parameters to make sure they are fine before adding them. They should be fine with the algae to eat.

If your parameters are steady at Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0 and a bit of Nitrates, it means your cycle is done. Growth from the plants is a good sign. Do not put any extra food and leave the Amanos to feast on the algae while you are gone.

Most reactions

Back